Keyed alike Euro Locks on all doors?

Go discuss your requirements with a locksmith. You could have a system where all locks are keyed differently but supplied with a key/keys that open them all, (common keyed) that way you only have to carry one key with you. Re 'bumping', get your locks with a restricted key section, that way it's highly unlikely someone will have the correct 'bump' key that will open your locks. For insurance purposes your cylinders must be 6 pin & fitted with security escutcheons. As to whether thumbturns on the inside are acceptable it's a bit of a grey area, if someone climbs in through a window he/she can open the door from the inside and let their accomplices in and carry your telly etc out. In premises such as guest houses the fire officers will insist on thumbturns internally so there must be some compromise.

Reply to
Scabbydug

In article , Ben Micklem writes

Actually your definition is fine, I missed those details in the descriptions in my first read.

Gotcha, I don't think our requirements are that different (honest). The escape sashlocks appear to be a bit tougher than the nightlatches I have looked having heavyweight boxed strikes and the extra option of throwing a deadbolt in the top lock too.

Reply to
fred

Less secure does not, however, equate to insecure, provided you start with a decent system.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Which is why I have both thumbturn and normal locks on the same door locked with the same key. As I think I said earlier I lock the normal lock when I go out so someone breaking in cannot open the door from the inside but lock with the thumb turn at night when I am in the house so I can get out in an emergency. So, insecure only in as much as someone could break in at night when I am asleep upstairs and open the door from the inside to let their friends in.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Thank you everyone for lots of useful points to mull over. I particularly like the thoughts about keys that could be inserted from either side, (fire safe?) - that's an angle I'd not looked at which needs some consideration. I'd not considered the 'kids loosing keys option', but having a 2 year old son, that is something that is obviously on the horizon, and so a welcome addition to the mix pot of ideas- maybe that points towards the master key system to mitigate against having to re-key the whole house being a good idea. I think my summary from the above posts is that Euro locked keyed alike, (or master keyed) will be OK as long as I go for the BS standard, (with its security escution), and pick a make with a non too common profile in order to resist 'bumping' attacks. If I get a snap- safe make too then all the better. Thanks everyone.

Reply to
pepper