Ikea Li-ion SDS drill

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Why would they put an SDS Plus chuck on a drill that wasn't SDS?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

/ No SDS then? Hammer? Bought one? Tested it? Nah didn't think so....

If you read an earlier post of mine here today you'd know I do have one. And it's a great little drill. No SDS or hammer. For the times I need to drill hard masonry I'll use one designed for that job. /q

Designed by ??? Or just 'approved' by you? On some contentious gut feeling or just how much it cost you?

That's a no, then. Are you on commission from Ikea? /q

In which earlier post do you say you own one?

Have you bought one of the ones you hate so? That'll be a No too then?

Amazingly you are so stubborn in your derision despite owning another Ikea drill product that you describe as a 'great little drill'??

FFS cake and eat it?!?

This is more illuminating about your mindset, rather than a £40 SDS drill that, lets not forget, no-one actually owns! :-)

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

So you know it is definitely SDS, then? How?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Right - that's so much better than my DeWalt. Would you guess a cheap drill would use such a sophisticated fitment?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

An impulse buy? Or convenience? Lots of people buy all sorts of stuff wi thout knowing the specs.

It doesn't strike me as particularly odd.

No-one on this newsgroup can say definitively what SDS stands for since the re are various competing definitions, some of which are in German. So we c an assume it's essentially meaningless to the average Ikea punter. Similar ly they're not going to start blabbing on about "electro-pneumatic hammer a ction" on a product for sale in a furniture store. But "for hammer drillin g in concrete, brick and stone" is clear even to someone who only went in t o buy a jar of pickled herrings.

Reply to
mike

Maybe you've got a dud.

Reply to
mike

/So you know it is definitely SDS, then? How? /q

? read the thread (again?)

How do you know it isn't?

(Impact joules or somesuch as mentioned by others would be a clue to look for if you do bother to read it....)

Strewth If you keep this up you'll soon be down under with rod's peed in more ways than one.... :-):-):-)

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

If it takes SDS drill bits, doesn't that /make/ it an SDS drill? AFAIK SDS doesn't specify the difference between percussive and pneumatic hammer action ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

So does your standard chuck fit *into* the SDS chuck, similar to this?

ebay.co.uk/itm/231292791457

Probably not, but I've not studied any others.

Reply to
Andy Burns

/So does your standard chuck fit *into* the SDS chuck, similar to this?

ebay.co.uk/itm/231292791457 /q

Umm eBay sayeth:-

This page may have moved or is no longer available. Please try one of the following....

snip

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

Yes. If it replaced the SDS chuck, it would be much more sensible. Wouldn't wobble (hopefully) or make the overall length greater. Unless I'm mistaken, the 'normal' chuck in this Ikea drill plugs into the 'SDS' chuck too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On the basis that SDS means/meant something like Insert ? Twist ? Secure, I agree.

Reply to
polygonum

Would seem it also now means Sudden Death Syndrome. Or Small Dick Syndrome if used in an SMS. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yup pretty much guarantees it... weatherlawyer is talking nonsense as usual.

That's because the impact energy if you work it out is a tiny fraction of a joule.

It could well explain why I can never understand most of what he posts!

Reply to
John Rumm