Ikea Li-ion SDS drill

/Lidl had a very nice Li-Ion cordless drill recently at 29.99. Ideal for assembling flat pack furniture as the chuck comes off leaving a standard hex drive. But doesn't wobble around when in place. ;-) /q
No SDS then? Hammer? Bought one? Tested it? Nah didn't think so....
Seems if anyone is a window shopper it's you - deciding if these sorts of things are worthy or to be derided solely by their price & appearance? (Once the latter has been clarified by others who are open minded enough to look properly).
/Have you bought the Ikea one yet since you're such a fan of it?
Or are you just a window shopper? /q
I refer the member to the answers already provided.
Jim K

Have you got an SDS with a plug in normal chuck which doesn't? ;-)
--
*Xerox and Wurlitzer will merge to market reproductive organs.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Well, I just put a flat wood bit in the normal chuck, the spear-tip of the drill is 9" from the nose* of the drill body, under no-load it spins without any wobble, by hand I can only waggle the tip by about 1mm from side-to-side, to my mind that's a "yes".
I've only had one SDS, so don't know if the interface between body and chuck is standard or not, this one has a splined shaft with two detents for ball bearings, the chuck has a rotating collar that locks the ball bearings in place, the hammer action is a rod mounted concentrically through the shaft, but it doesn't make contact when using the normal chuck.
[*] which, as I said earlier isn't fantastic, especially when you need a further 13" clearance for the body, so definitely not for drilling between joists, it'd be nice if they sold a right-angle normal chuck for it too, but since that's not something I need often enough to buy a right-angle drill, I use a stubby bit in an impact driver, which gets the job done.

Yes. Makita.

On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:58:44 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Yes. Kress.
Maybe you've got a dud.
[Rubbish software quoting corrected]

If you read an earlier post of mine here today you'd know I do have one. And it's a great little drill. No SDS or hammer. For the times I need to drill hard masonry I'll use one designed for that job.

That's a no, then. Are you on commission from Ikea?
--
*I don't feel old. I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's time for my nap.

/ No SDS then? Hammer? Bought one? Tested it? Nah didn't think so....
If you read an earlier post of mine here today you'd know I do have one. And it's a great little drill. No SDS or hammer. For the times I need to drill hard masonry I'll use one designed for that job. /q
Designed by ??? Or just 'approved' by you? On some contentious gut feeling or just how much it cost you?

That's a no, then. Are you on commission from Ikea? /q
In which earlier post do you say you own one?
Have you bought one of the ones you hate so? That'll be a No too then?
Amazingly you are so stubborn in your derision despite owning another Ikea drill product that you describe as a 'great little drill'??
FFS cake and eat it?!?
This is more illuminating about your mindset, rather than a £40 SDS drill that, lets not forget, no-one actually owns! :-)
Jim K

So you know it is definitely SDS, then? How?
--
*Ever stop to think and forget to start again?

/So you know it is definitely SDS, then? How? /q
? read the thread (again?)
How do you know it isn't?
(Impact joules or somesuch as mentioned by others would be a clue to look for if you do bother to read it....)
Strewth If you keep this up you'll soon be down under with rod's peed in more ways than one.... :-):-):-)
Jim K
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

If it takes SDS drill bits, doesn't that /make/ it an SDS drill? AFAIK SDS doesn't specify the difference between percussive and pneumatic hammer action ...
On 30/07/2014 20:16, Andy Burns wrote:

On the basis that SDS means/meant something like Insert – Twist – Secure, I agree.
--
Rod

Right - that's so much better than my DeWalt. Would you guess a cheap drill would use such a sophisticated fitment?
--
*The severity of the itch is proportional to the reach *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

So does your standard chuck fit *into* the SDS chuck, similar to this?
ebay.co.uk/itm/231292791457

Probably not, but I've not studied any others.
/So does your standard chuck fit *into* the SDS chuck, similar to this?
ebay.co.uk/itm/231292791457 /q
Umm eBay sayeth:-
This page may have moved or is no longer available. Please try one of the following....
snip
Jim K

Yes. If it replaced the SDS chuck, it would be much more sensible. Wouldn't wobble (hopefully) or make the overall length greater. Unless I'm mistaken, the 'normal' chuck in this Ikea drill plugs into the 'SDS' chuck too.

--
*A plateau is a high form of flattery*

Would seem it also now means Sudden Death Syndrome. Or Small Dick Syndrome if used in an SMS. ;-)
--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.