Special hinges for stay-up/drop-down flap

I'm not sure these even exist but if they do does anyone know where to get them?

I want hinges for a flap that I can fit to a shelf front edge that can hinge down to let you get stuff off the shelf (the easy bit) but that when you raise the flap into the vertical position it will stay upright and prevent items on the shelf (in my van) being thrown off when I go round corners. (It's not so practicable to fit a catch above the shelf to hold the flap.)

I hope the ascii-art shows the principle: the part of the hinge attached to the flap has an elongated hole so in the vertically up position the flap drops slightly and locks in position. When you lift the flap it is then able to rotate on the hinge-pin and drop into the open position.

John Stumbles

mmm ... boats? caravans maybe?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

The problem with this design as I know to my cost from when my Father had a motor caravan is that one unexpected big bump and the door opens spilling all items onto the floor. We ended up with a couple of screws and some thin bungi stuff in the end.

It really needed a catch one could turn that locked to stop that sort of thing. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

How about putting a push catch on either side of the shelf that will hold it in place and that will engage when the shelf is pushed up and is released by pushing in a button? If you don't like the idea of the shelf dropping down hard when you release the catch, a light gas spring would help.

Some catches don't even need a push-button to open, they just need a bit of force. Like this one:

Jon Connell

[snip]

You can get kitchen unit hinges (that hold the door closed) which allow the door to open 180 degrees.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

how much resistance would they offer when pushed from inside though?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Quite a bit if close to the hinge. They're designed to hold quite large doors closed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'd expect any decent manufacturer to specify the force needed to open them, or at least have somebody you can call to ask. Why not give Hafele a call, or click on the "Chat now" button they appear to have on their website?

Reply to
Jon Connell

Unfortunately if I've one box stacked on top of the other on the shelf the upper box will apply force to the flap/door some distance from the hinge.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Could you retain the 'door' with clips onto vertical dividers at all? Anything relying on the hinge to keep it close is going to have withstand huge leverage especially from stacked boxes.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Child catches?

Reply to
stuart noble

You just keep adding hinges until the required force is high enough, or you run out of space to fix them ;-) Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

I think I'd use garden gate catches like:

Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Ikea do some:

I'm not sure about how much force they'll keep the flap closed with though however I'll likely know this weekend if you want me to report back as I'll be getting a pair for a cupboard here.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Wish I'd thought of that!

Reply to
stuart noble

yup - perzakly ;>)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

have you read the thread?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

mmmm neat & cheap! ;>)

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

In my childhood, we screwed eyes at either end of the row of cupboards and hooked one of those spring curtain wires between them, holding the doors shut for travelling.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I'm aware of that but I think hinges of the sort I envisage would do if they're made out of reasonably competent material (about the same thickness as light house-door hinges). The panel they're to hold is only about 150mm high.

Reply to
John Stumbles