Special hinges for stay-up/drop-down flap

They don't look like what I'm after - more like bureau hinges, aren't they?

Reply to
John Stumbles

I used some very strong magnetic catches from Ironmongery Direct and they worked fine. Never come open by accident.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Ummm, yes. What's your point? Do you think that's impossible to engineer a catch that cannot withstand the force of shifting boxes on the shelf even when applied some distance from it?

Reply to
Jon Connell

They are designed to close the door not keep it closed.

I'd have my doubts about them being 100 percent in the use in question unless the o.p. hinged the door along its top horizontal edge to give the added advantage of gravity.

We have a small overhead cupboard in the galley in a boat. It uses a finger operated brass catch accessed via a finger hole drilled in the door. It has never opened un-intentionally no matter how rough the sea.

Reply to
fred

Be interesting to see a sprung design which does one but not the other...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh, it is possible..in fact most cupboard spring hinges are only operational over the last few degrees

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And as you move to open it come into operation...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

not hinges but this is the sort of principle I had in mind:-

goggle "trailer drop catches"

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Yes that's the principle I had in mind too!

Reply to
John Stumbles