hotpoint 6115 oven door hinges

Anyone got any idea how to remove oven door and then get the hinges out. This is a quite old oven >20 yrs and nothing that matches appears on the internet. eg. even the 6116 is different.

Reply to
therustyone

Most downward opening doors seem to use the same system whereby you release a couple of "safety-catches" by flipping a small pivoting piece of metal backwards, part open the door and then lift the bottom edge of the door. With a bit of a shoogle and a pull it should come out.

Are these your hinges?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

To expand a little on the method, you open the door fully and then look for something each side which flips into a position that locks the hinge "open". When this is done, if you start to close the door then the vertical bit of hinge inside disengages from the cooker frame and, as Tim says, the whole door plus hinge jiggles out.

Another tip, if your hinges don't pull the door fully closed it is because the springs have lost some of their tension, rather than buildup of cooked grease. They need to be replaced (not particularly expensive).

Reply to
newshound

I found it difficult to flip up those little bits on the door of my new oven. I had to use a small screw driver of just the right size.

Reply to
Michael Chare

thanks Tim, those are the right hinges, but so expensive. I can get a whole new fan oven with timer for less than double that. One hinge has broken and the bottom bit sheared off. I flipped the safety clip off as suggested by others it but the door still won't come loose.

Reply to
therustyone

Mine were nothing like that price. Just over a tenner each IIRC. (Kenwood). Hinge back plate may be glued into frame by cooked grease?

Reply to
newshound

Manufacturers tend to use the same parts. That was just the first hit. If you check out other spares places (even ebay) I?m sure you?ll find identical ones at a suitable price.

Eg.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Hi Tim

I found a hinge pair on Amazon at £50 so while they're not exactly the same, having a single pivot at the base instead of two like mine, they should work OK.

All the other offerings (inc. Hotpoint's) look even less like mine. I finally figured out that the loop on the bottom hinge is meant to hook onto the tongue on the top arm to remove the door (probably). Never taken the door off before.

Reply to
therustyone

Not sure what you seem so determined to go for the most expensive hinges imaginable. I doubt very much that Hotpoint designed their own hinges and there are many cheaper alternatives. Still, it?s your choice.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Blimey - I take the doors off every few weeks to clean them and the inside of the oven properly - remove the seal and pop it into the dishwasher.

Reply to
John

'cos I've searched for quite a while, and all the hinges that even look like mine are in the the same price bracket. Some sort of price fixing ! One of the the fixing screws is offset to the side which is unusual. John

Reply to
therustyone