Killfiles

I use Gravity in which the killfile is known as the Bozo bin.

Out of interest, just now I counted 322 posts available before downloading them.

When I did download them, the figure dropped to 191!

Does anybody else carry out this check from time to time and what results do you get?

Reply to
Terry Casey

I recently downloaded 100000 messages from the group, and the crosspost filter alone took out 25000 of them.

UKRA is even worse - an overnight download might have 65 messages, but the crosspost and sociopath filters between them usually takes out about

50, leaving a pleasant and interesting group to read.
Reply to
Spike

60% of most days content is KFed.

Ther is no point in having a discussion with people who think know it all and think they are always right.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just looked at my filter log file, and its taken 161 filter actions so far today...

However I would estimate the actual messages filtered could be a half to a quarter of that, since some will appear twice because there are multiple actions on the filter (say "delete message", and "ignore sub thread"), and some posters also get killed by multiple filters (say anything by peeler, and anything that is a cross post, will end up with a double kill on peeler should it also cross post).

Reply to
John Rumm

Crikey. You must be unique in being in your own killfile.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Whoops, that tickled by irony filter...

Reply to
John Rumm

Where is that feature in Thunderbird ?.

Thanks for x-post info, it has removed all those pesky ham radio people.

Reply to
Andrew

G0JYO calling CQ CQ CQDX

Oh bollocks now I've joined the ranks of being a pesky Radio Amateur once again.

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Its pointless as its the price you pay for having no moderation on a group. Its all text and takes up very little room, so who really cares, it probably means the same group has at least two groups within it each filtering the others post out. Its no different to sorting emails into folders. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I use Pan, which seems to have a idiosyncratic killfile ????

Or is it just me not bothering to RTFM ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

So do I. Seems to work most of the time but occasionally someone I've killed 'forever' pops up after maybe 3 months. Perhaps they alter one character in their author name or summat?

Reply to
TOJ

Yes, I only get to see a very small proportion of the posts to this group. Time wasters, trolls, democracy-haters and other incorrigible idiots are all filtered out and it saves me *so* much valuable time I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone who values intelligent discourse but doesn't want to spend hours and hours sifting for it.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yes, that does happen but fortunately not very often. The good thing is in Pan you can kill those morphers off far quicker than they can create new identities, so they quickly catch on and just give up.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

wait until the post using your name and killfile that and see what happens

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I find the "newer" version of Pan (0.14x series) is not a patch on the old version I use (Pan 0.14.2.)

I can create custom filters & kf on trolls using aioe using the Message-ID (contains) such as:

Similarly from anonymous remailers:

From: ^"Nomen Nescio" <nobody@dizum\.com>$ References: ^<@dizum\.com>

These features don't seem to be in the 0.14x series. Charles Kerr quit developing it, & someone else took it on. The original features of the 0.14.x series were never implemented.

Reply to
Martyn Barclay

Haha! Nice one. Fortunately Pan enables filtering on domains and all sorts of other identifying factors.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

I'm still running 0.139. There was an update a while back which f***ed up the layout. I did post for help at the time, but as with so many "free" products none came, so I downgraded and pinned the build in synaptic to stay on the working version.

Writ large, it's why commercial software will still have a place ....

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Another remailer can be hit by looking for "mixmin.net" in an "Injection-info" field.

Reply to
John Rumm

To bloody right and those ham radio people should go vegan radio people.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I just wish I could find a way to do it in Google Groups. Yes, I know he cognoscenti consider it crap but its too much grief to change it and become accustomed to s new reader. Old age I'm afraid.

I dream of winning the lottery and visiting Australia with an AK47

Reply to
billyorange007