Ikea Li-ion SDS drill

Ikea are selling a 14.4v cordless SDS for £40:
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50232899/
I'm not in the market for one but I'm curious to know if anyone's used one and how good (or bad) it was.

Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't actually say it's SDS.
--
*I'm pretty sure that sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

/Unless I'm missing something, it doesn't actually say it's SDS./q
Look closely at the drill bits.....
Jim K
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

The drills included with it certainly look like SDS
/The drills included with it certainly look like SDS/q
Indeed, and why else would you need different chucks for certain drills?
Jim K

and - the on-line manual says SDS Plus tool holder.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Being a suspicious sod, could it be it takes SDS type drills, but the actual percussion mechanism doesn't conform to SDS standards?
It just seemed odd to me to not actually make a point of it being SDS in the ads.
--
*There's no place like www.home.com *

/Being a suspicious sod, could it be it takes SDS type drills, but the actual percussion mechanism doesn't conform to SDS standards?
It just seemed odd to me to not actually make a point of it being SDS in the ads./q
The manual mentions SDS Plus a few times but yes, you would think they'd trumpet the fact more...
NB are there standards for SDS percussion mechanisms??
Jim K

Its just a lousy ad given that the manual says its SDS

The 1J impact energy per blow puts it into the (light) SDS performance range though... (as does the add on "normal" chuck)
Its only a 2 function machine though...
--
Cheers,

John.

Spec says;
Rated speed: 0-900 rpm Impact rate: 0-4800 bpm Impact energy per stroke: 1.0 J Tool holder: SDS plus
My 18v Hitachi; - Impact Rates : 0-3100/6200 - Impact Energh : 1.4 Joules

Doubt you'd get very far doing wall chasing etc given the battery size - and the single built in battery. ;-)
Seems a curious tool for Ikea to sell.
--
*Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now *

/Doubt you'd get very far doing wall chasing etc given the battery size - and the single built in battery. ;-)
Seems a curious tool for Ikea to sell/q
? How many Ikea punters will want to wall chase?!
I think it's a good sell to an Ikea punter who needs to drill a few holes to secure his new wardrobes/bookcases, ....and then put it in the cellar:-)
Jim K

Well yes - except that for occasional use like that a mains tool would be far far better. As it will be always ready for use.
As a fairly experienced DIYer, I've not really felt the need for a battery SDS drill. And for a pro of any sort who does need one, the lack of battery life - and being unable to fit a second one while the first re-charges - would make it fairly useless.
In other words, I can't see the point in it. ;-)
--
*Frustration is trying to find your glasses without your glasses.

/Well yes - except that for occasional use like that a mains tool would be far far better. As it will be always ready for use.
As a fairly experienced DIYer, I've not really felt the need for a battery SDS drill. And for a pro of any sort who does need one, the lack of battery life - and being unable to fit a second one while the first re-charges - would make it fairly useless.
In other words, I can't see the point in it. ;-) /q
I wouldn't want to be screwing screws in with a mains drill,
/Well yes - except that for occasional use like that a mains tool would be far far better. As it will be always ready for use.
As a fairly experienced DIYer, I've not really felt the need for a battery SDS drill. And for a pro of any sort who does need one, the lack of battery life - and being unable to fit a second one while the first re-charges - would make it fairly useless.
In other words, I can't see the point in it. ;-) /q
I wouldn't want to be screwing screws in with a mains drill.
I can also see Ikea punters bein drawn to it as a one stop shop/box for finishing off their flatpack projects, without the expense of mains drill, cordless screwdriver, drill bit set etc.
I don't believe it's aimed at pros....that is the point if it.
Jim K

Not so. I have an 18v Hitachi SDS and it's a godsend.

Why not?
However, if you think this Ikea drill such a brilliant tool, will you be buying one? That at the end of the day is what matters.
--
*Sorry, I don't date outside my species.

/Why not?
However, if you think this Ikea drill such a brilliant tool, will you be buying one? That at the end of the day is what matters. /q
Which mains drill do you use for driving screws?
I won't be buying one, I'm not in the market for such a thing, unlike I expect, lots of tool-less Ikea buying types...
Who don't mind swapping the chucks to drill/drive in a few screws now and then instead of spending at least double on something more 'worthy'
Jim K

A basically SDS drill with a plug in chuck for ordinary drills or screwdriving is going to be a PITA - have you ever tried such an arrangement?
--
*Why isn't there mouse-flavoured cat food?