Idle thoughts re generators

"N. Thornton" wrote | Strikes me that a lot of emphasis is being put on recycling | but not enough on re-use.

Apparently children no longer scour the hedgerows and rubbish-bins for discarded Irn-Bru bottles (20p deposit on each) because it's not 'kewl' to be poor.

(And, of course, you can't redeem them at McBurgers.)

Prosperity produces waste.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Might be a bit hard to separate all those fragments of glass and metal out of the toxic incinerator ash, don't you think? Also it's hard to recycle paper once it's been though an incinerator.

Much better to recycle as much as possible, and consider incinerating the rest.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

The snotty uniness is coming through again. All research on the matter points to incineration to be effective economically. And less hassle to the customer.

Reply to
IMM

It's the same water being pumped from tank to tank. Pay attention.

Reply to
IMM

Cost? Stirling and IC genies are freely available.

Reply to
IMM

No it isn't Research proved re-cycling a silly idea.

Reply to
IMM

An 'infinity' engine? Water drives genny to power pump to replace water? And enough spare energy for an immersion heater. I'm impressed but reckon you should get a patent on this asap.

Reply to
Toby

In message , IMM writes

I suppose you just rub the lamp and out they pop

Reply to
geoff

Processing trees into pulp requires far more effort, energy and transportation than turning waste paper back into pulp. And newsprint and cardboard packaging do not require high grade paper and so can use a high proportion of recycled material.

Transporting bottles to the coast and chucking them in is not really a sensible way of recycling them, you might as well transport them to a recycling plant instead.

They don't need investment, the facilities for recycling glass, cans and paper exists already.

Little more than transporting them to landfill or an incinerator.

No, you recycle green glass into green bottles, etc etc

Suitable places for landfill are already in short supply, less suitable places do exist but there are risks involved.

This is a typical can't do attitude, suprising from someone who calls themself a natural philosopher. Most supermarkets have collection points for glass, paper and cans, so there is no need to use extra fuel taking them there.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

And whose research is this? Your own?

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Read all the thread again. Nothing has sunk in with you. Do you make money fro re-cycling?

Reply to
IMM

Get the big picture. The snotty uni one is saying that re-cycling is a daft idea to burning it and using the heat.

Reply to
IMM

No. Pay attention.

It is quite clear what it is. Focus please.

Reply to
IMM

Nice one Maxie, and not even 1st April.

Reply to
IMM

Heck if they collected it every 2 weeks I'd do it. Here they just take the p, making the system unworkable. Sorry but I'm not willing to have big piles of rubbish mount up for 1 month plus, taking it in and out hoping they'll collect it some day. I'm on the verge of giving up rubbish recycling altogether. Theyre just not willing to take the stuff.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Maybe if you mean steam not stirling. Define best, is it maximum conversion of heat energy to electricity, minimum capital cost, minimum operating cost or what?

AJH

Reply to
Andrew Heggie

Yes you can but is it worth it? With even a charge discharge return of

80% you still need to factor in the capital cost and lifetime of the battery. I once did the calculations on a 5kWh battery pack with an estimated life of 8 years, warranted 5 years, with a 50% dod and it was higher per kWhr stored than the peak price.

AJH

Reply to
Andrew Heggie

Yes but stirlings aren't at all efficient in converting high grade heat to movement. Their potential lies in cleanliness and long working life.

I think diesels still win hands down on anything except combined cycle systems, and they can also be enhanced by this. High speed diesels will exceed 40% conversion of heat to electricity, low speed ones (burning even cheaper fuel) nearly reach 50%.

It's scalability that's difficult with CHP. None of the current generating technologies scale down well or have particularly good performance when turned down. Small alternators are inherently less efficient than larger once because of engineering tolerances and magnetic losses.

"Good" chp systems seem to feature loads in the MW levels and minimum loads approaching 1/3 of peak loads. They feature multiple engines running in their peak efficiency regions, as loads increase more engines are brought online, the price is the higher O+M costs of reciprocating engines. They also make use of both the coolant and exhaust heat, for heating and cooling via adsorption coolers. As someone else said more electricity is used worldwide for cooling than heating, intuitively this is because most heating is by non electrical means.

At the MW(e) level you are buying your prime energy at industrial rates, which will be half to a sixth what a small domestic user will be charged.

AJH

Reply to
Andrew Heggie

Yeah. We have had teh brown bin out for three weeks now and they haven't collected it yet.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, but the issue is that incineration is something that is easier to arrange locally than a paper making plant.

Its possible. Glass is infinirely resusable, but you cannot take out the admixtures used to crate it in the first place. In time it probably means all bottles end up a muddy brown.

Nearly all our waste is packaging materials.

Or marketing collateral.

Basically its tins, bottles, pots, wrappers etc etc.

The odd bit of building material from the endless DIY...

The food scraps get composted, as does all garden watse.

Most wood gets burnt, one way or another.

So does a lot of the paper.

Its the things that useable things come in that need to be disposed off.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher