UPS as backup power

I know a few of us have collected a number of free UPS units with bad batteries. Has anyone tried just using the inverter part as emergency power using much bigger batteries. I have a golf cart with 6 6v deep cycle batteries. I was thinking if I string 4 of them together, it should power a 1KW UPS. I am not sure the UPS charger is up to the task of charging them tho.

Reply to
gfretwell

Not much bigger but maybe twice as big. I had a UPS and when the battery wore out, I broke out the thin plastic ribs that held the battery in place and I had room from one twice as big. I suspect they sold a model that used such a battery and that they used the same forms to make the case, except the forms allowed for different ribs.

I'm not sure what you're using this contraption for. In my case, I didn't care how long it took to recharge the battery, since there was unlikely to be two long power failures in a row, without some time in between, probablay the maximum required recharge time. OTOH if there were a series of outages, a battery twice as big will last twice as long.

The UPS charger won't be overloaded by 4 discharged batteries in parallel, anymore than by one. Unless even one makes it close to overheating.

But in your golf cart they are in series. You won't be able to recharge all of them without some complicated switch to put them either in parallel or to charge them 1 or parallel 2 at a time.

Instead of UPS, try Fedex.

Reply to
micky

It will work as an inverter but the charger doesn't stand a chance. Most are 2 amp or less, the cart batteries are likely 215 aH.

Reply to
clare

No, the 4 6 volts in series will be 24 volts - quite standard for 1Kw UPS units. My 1Kw unit runs 48 volts - except for the extended run which runs 54 volts and is designed to chargew an external battery pack. I THINK it is an 8 amp charger on it, while my 24 volt units are

2 amp.
Reply to
clare

I thought about that I already have a 12v inverter in my cart but it is not as big. It still should be enough to kick start the UPS tho.,

Reply to
gfretwell