I assume the apprentice got it in the neck

I assume the apprentice got it in the neck. Not fair, really. Forgetting your bomb is an easy mistake to make.

Reply to
GB

At least it was only a pretend bomb.

"mobile phone device wired to a piece of piping to give it the look of a real bomb was taped to the back of a toilet door"

Perhaps the security company should consider that real terrorists with even half a brain make their bombs look like innocuous items and not bombs!

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Yes, but given that the exercise probably involved minimum wage security personnel, I'm surprised they didn't have to use a big, black-painted sphere with a lighted fuse stuck in the top and big white letters spelling beum.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

It does seem to be a rather basic mistake not to count how many bombs you have before leaving.

Perhaps, after this, we will start to see dummy bombs being deployed by terrorists just to cause as much disruption as possible.

Reply to
Nightjar

Beum?

Oh, you mean "bomb".

Yes. Zat iz wat I /sed/, a beum. Francois: Do you know what kind of a behm... /bomb/ it was? Clouseau: Yes, the exploding kind.

Reply to
Martin Barclay

Well, the IRA used to send fake bomb warnings in the 1970's, even less risky than planting fake bombs and nearly as disruptive, especially after Elfin Safety got involved.

After one such at my workplace, I recall being asked by Tannoy to look around my laboratory for anything obviously out-of-place. There was subsequently much debate over whether this was an appropriate instruction, although to my mind it was perfectly reasonable. Even a bomb expert would have little hope of quickly recognising a bomb masquerading as a piece of our home-brew instrumentation, although I suppose a trained dog or modern explosive sniffers might have a better chance.

Reply to
newshound

En el artículo , Martin Barclay escribió:

:) :) :)

I recently re-watched all the PP movies. A couple have aged well, a couple haven't. Time for me to leave the reum clutching my minkey.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

"I counted them all out, but I didn't count them all back", as I posted earlier elsewhere...

Reply to
mark.bluemel

The more embarrassed apprentice is the one who missed in the pre match sweep!

Only took them 4 days to find it!

Reply to
Fredxxx

That's about right isn't it

Apparently, the security company's sub contractor who didn't retrieve the bomb is going to get the sack.

but ISTM that's "shooting the messenger."

The bomb didn't get left behind just because the subbies didn't retrieve it after the exercise

it got left behind because the main contract didn't FIND it, during the exercise.

It is the main contractor who should be getting the can here

tim

Reply to
tim...

The IRA had the advantage of being known to be capable of planting the real thing and having recognised code words for their warnings.

The vast majority of bomb warnings (99.9% according to one source) are entirely false and involve no device, real or fake. Therefore, unless there is a very good reason to believe the threat is genuine, the first step is always to search the premises, which is usually best done by people who know the area well.

The search also serves to keep people occupied and out of the evacuation routes until they have been cleared. In a real attack, they may be where bombs are planted for maximum effect. In the recent Brussels bombing, running from the first blast took many people towards the second.

Reply to
Nightjar

On 16/05/2016 18:39, Nightjar The search also serves to keep people occupied and out of the evacuation

Is there any point running from a bomb that has already gone off? Ofc there may be a second one, but unless you know where that one is running makes no sense.

Reply to
GB

Bits might fall off damaged buildings seconds or minutes after the explosion.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

And the need for clean underwear.

Reply to
ARW

It wasn't an apprentice, either.

It was the MD.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yes indeed, I mean having one exactly the same in your bag and assuming it is the one is a common mistake to make. I'd suggest somebody puts number on the bombs and checks them against a list before the next outing. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I was thinking the same, but then again, nowadays they seem to make them look like people. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'd have thought a foolproof approach would be to have a "pigeon-hole" system in your truck. Arrive with all the pigeon holes full and expect to leave in the same state. Even a cursory glance should spot if one or more is/are missing.

Reply to
mark.bluemel

People don't always do the sensible thing in an emergency.

Reply to
Nightjar

You'd think so - but IME a larger proportion of the population are extraordinarily bad at organising logistics at any level.

Reply to
Tim Watts