Apprentice lost in London

FFS. All he had to do was to get from Dartford to Heathrow.
Tracker showed him using the Blackwall tunnel and then the Vauxhall bridge - last I heard he was in Battersea at 5.30pm after leaving Dartford 2 hours earlier.
--
Adam

On Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:22:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

He's not doing too badly, then.

About an hour and half tops using the M25.
--
Adam

I take it he was using a satnav? They do tend to take you the shortest route. And through London isn't going to be the quickest way, especially if blindly following a satnav.
--
*I went to school to become a wit, only got halfway through.

I wonder if he went through the Congestion Charge zone?
--

Jeff

If you approach Vauxhall Bridge from the NE of the river then yes.
When I was working in Lambeth I used to use it on the way in. It is the boundary to the CC.
--
Adam

Most SatNavs seem to know about that and avoid it, by taking a cicuitous route around the edge of it.
--
Chris Green
·

It should give you the choice.
--
*Marriage changes passion - suddenly you're in bed with a relative*

Most satnavs have choices though shortest or fastest. Not always the same thing at all even if using public transport or feet. Brian
--
----- -
Shortest can give you nice little scenic roads, although often it gives you farm tracks with locked gates.

--
Paddy takes his new wife to bed on their wedding night.
She undresses, lies on the bed spread-eagled and says

Years ago I was trying to get from Oxford to somewhere near Greenwich by car, for work. I wondered about going the long way round via the M25, and then working my way westwards into Greenwich after crossing the QE2 bridge, but decided to go the direct way: M40, Marylebone/Euston/Pentonville/City/Great Eastern/Commercial/Mansell Roads/Streets (ie A501 and A1202), to cross Tower Bridge and then head eastwards along the A200 towards Deptford and Greenwich. It was after rush hour so traffic shouldn't be *too* bad.
Everything went well until I got near Tower Bridge, then the roads were jammed solid. It took as long to cover the last few miles from there to Greenwich as it had done from Oxford to Tower Bridge, and I began to wonder whether I should have gone the long way round.
This was in the days before satnav (probably about 2001), so I wrote myself a set of turn-by-turn instructions. It was also before the Congestion Charge so I didn't need to find a route that kept outside the Zone.

Yes he was using a SatNav - his IPhone. And it's a journey he has dome 3 times - twice as a passenger, once as a driver (with me in the passenger seat because I had a hangover).
--
Adam

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Agreed. I bought a new cheapo 7 inch satnav recently as the Tomtom clapped out. It is much better at routing than either Tomtom or her Garmin as it avoids the back lanes and sticks to reasonably main routes. It's also much easier to read.

But were you starting in London and had a London destination?
I live in SW London, and generally ignore the satnav while in the parts of London I know reasonably well. Then just let it revise the route when I'm getting near to 'here be dragons' Although the traffic jams update can be very useful.
--
*Proofread carefully to see if you any words out or mispeld something *

Mine certainly would. The M25 route is a great deal longer - and not always the fastest either. As anyone who's been stuck on it will know.
But given the standard of some of Adam's apprentices, might not be capable of following a satnav anyway. And if take a wrong turn just carry on thinking it will update and not make much difference.
--
*Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have *

Like many young people of today they have no geographical knowledge what city they are in or of the major road network in the UK - so all they do IS follow a satnav.
I am not expecting them to know if Doncaster is North or South of Manchester - but I would expect them to know which is most Easterly.
Here is a good example of what I have to put up with.
Take a new estate and not showing on Google maps. You give them a reference from what should be a known staring point to that estate.
"Get yourself to that school in Auckley where we fitted the Christmas tree lights on the tree opposite the school next to the main road" "I cannot remember that" "The one where you fell off the A frames and landed in that pile of dog shit" "Oh yes - how do you get to the school?"
--
Adam

Did he navigate to the school on the previous occasion? Did he drive and have to follow road signs. If not to both, then I wouldn't expect him to have been paying much attention to the exact route that you took, and maybe not even to approximately where the school was (eg N, S, E or W of where you started from - he placed all the responsibility for getting there on whoever was driving.
However I'd expect if you gave him a postcode and an online map to show where that postcode is, he should be able to use the map to work out a route there, as a backup in case the satnav failed.
I use satnav for turn-by-turn directions to a place I've never been to before, but I always look it up on the map first of all, and even look for the exact house on Streetview, and work out how I'll get there. I use the satnav so I don't have to memorise (or write down and try to glance at as I'm driving) the exact turns, safe in the knowledge that it the satnav fails I know roughly where I'll be going so I can try and match landmarks against an OS map (*) if I need to do it manually, having stopped to look at the map.
(*) I have Viewranger on my phone which has offline copies of all the UK 1:50,000 and 1:25,000 maps. Normally it shows on the map where I am, but if the GPS fails I can still use it as if it was a paper map with no "you are here" crosshairs.

A school that is in a village not far from where he has spent the last 19 years living should be good enough.
A school that he has worked at on more than one occassion.
The first and only time he has set up outside public Christmas Tree lights and then he passed them every day for at least a week when they were switched on whilst travelling to another local job.
--
Adam

On 08/06/2016 19:49, NY wrote:

You got a huge benefit from having a satnav today with all the floods. It still took 2 hours o do a normally 35 min trip but others doing the same were still out there after 3.5 hours. It took some really out of the way routes but the tomtom live map was red everywhere. Maps are of no use whatsoever in those conditions.

I also use it when I'm not completely sure where a particular street is and where where I am going has a street number, so it gets me straight to the door of the place I am going to.

I only glance as the map shown in google maps that is the satnav I normally use now to confirm where the street is with the ones I'm not completely sure of the location of.

I normally do because that is shown by default in google maps.

I don't bother, the most I ever do is check the alternate routes that google maps shows because I can sometimes be a little surprised that it says one is quicker than the one I would use if I was going there without a satnav.

Yeah, I used to do that before satnavs showed up, glad I don't have to anymore.

I don't bother, essentially because the phone has never failed yet and I have been able to use apple maps on the odd few occasions when google maps is down temporarily or it doesn't know where the place I am going to is. Or use google if neither knows where the place I want to go is. I also have the local council's local map as a favourite in the browser for the new estates that haven't made it to google maps or apple maps etc.
In theory I would be SoL if the phone died but don't bother to keep the older satnav in the car in case that happens, or the previous smartphone either.

I'm not out of mobile phone coverage enough to matter.