DNS and a forum.

One of the car forums I'm a member of went down the other day. Firefox reported site not found.

It has a 'sister' forum as a Facebook group, and it seemed only those using BT Infinity had lost the main forum. And the forum administrator reported that changing the DNS server in his BT router got it working on his PC.

However, it seemed to be sorted a couple of days later without doing anything here.

What are the pros and cons on changing the DNS server that BT expects you to use?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Is BT one of the ISPs that does "Parental Controls" by DNS? If so that feature then.

I use Open DNS, becuase VM's have, on occasion, been unreliable. Yes, I am aware that it means that OpenDNS/Cisco knows which sites I visit.

Reply to
Lee

You can run your own DNS anyway.

And see what sites your kids are visiting!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Cleanfeed ? I thought it was below DNS level. Otherwise you could just use OpenDNS/GoogleDNS and bypass it (which you can't).

It's the same system that blocks Piratebay sites. (With probably the same effectiveness).

Unless you run your own DNS, that will always be the case.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I dunno. Not needed here anyway.

On the Facebook forum, the Google DNS server was recommended. That sort of didn't appeal to me. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No Cleanfeed is a separate thing. I meant "BT Protect", which is DNS based and apparently complains if it's enabled and you try to switch DNS servers.

Reply to
Lee

Well I'd have thought nothing at all, I've used several with Virgin and it seems to work. Not quite sure apart from looking up the real address what nameservers offer over other nameservers, except different messages when things don't quite work!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I switched mine from the default Demon provided ones to OpenDNS for primary and Google for secondary. Poor reliability was the issue. The Demon ones are still operating ; I've just pinged one.

I've never had any problems since I switched.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Howie

I've run my own since first having Demon dialup. I used to dump the cache at the end of the call, and load it back in again at the start of the next call, hoping it saved me some performance at 14.4k.

I did come unstuck a few weeks ago. It seems I hadn't updated the root.hint file for an ambarrasing number of years, and eventually it all ground to a halt ;-) Fortunately easily fixed.

There are probably more accurate ways tp do that. The young kid's PC gets to use openDNS, and not the real DNS.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel