TP-LINK dongle

Trying to use a TP-Link Wi-Fi USB dongle with a Win7 desktop that doesn't have Wi-Fi.

Software shows all my neighbour's signals - but not either of mine. Phone beside the PC shows excellent strength. Moved the desktop to the same room as my laptop which works fine - same thing.

System is BT infinity. Never had a problem getting any other WiFi device to connect to it.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

do the dongle and your router have a frequency (2.4GHz or 5GHz) in common?

Reply to
Andy Burns

do you need a driver in the Win7 machine to make it work?

Reply to
charles

Is your router set to broadcast its SSID?

Reply to
Robin

+1

Dave. The dongle may (only) be the older 2.4GHz band whereas your router may be set to only use the 5Ghz band (hence why it isn't seen).

If you look at the router config (probably in the 'advanced' section) you should see mention of such.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

So this is one of those sticks plugged into the usb is it? Could it be that it does not support the new bands used for wifi? I found this with an old netgear stick I found. It will see my old router but a new one, no, at least not until I fiddled with the settings to make it operate at the lower frequencies. Bah humbug. When did life get so complicated? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Normally Windows 7 is pretty good at finding these on itself or it will have a moan and you might need to connect it by wire just to download the drivers, but if its seeing other networks my money is on the band issue. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Your dongle is obviously extreme right wing and is suffering from cognitive dissonance.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My recollection is that BT routers use both bands when initially set up, but there's probably a facility to turn one off.

I have a TPLink dongle TL-WN321G that works fine on W10. Would you care to share which one you're using, Dave?

Reply to
GB

Did Dave get the message from Windows about a new device being plugged in ?.

Does it show up in the list of devices in control panel->device mgr ?

Reply to
Andrew

He did say that it "shows all my neighbour's signals".

Reply to
Robin

To avoid replying to multiple posts:-

It's a TP-Link Model Archer T1U. Says 5 Ghz 433 Mbps.

Was bought some 20 months ago from PC world - but not used.

I've not really altered any setting on my BT router. Next door - that it is seeing a signal from - has BT infinity too.

It was installed using the supplied CD - for driver and software.

This morning, with it in the same room as my laptop, it was showing only one available and at poor signal strength. My laptop was showing 11...

Went out and bought a new one. That's working fine.

Of course I've lost the receipt. Their website wants you to use a premium rate phone line for any warranty claims (says it has a three year warranty). So into the bin it will go.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

what about the WEEEEEEE....... regulations?

Reply to
charles

There are some very handy apps for mobile phones which will tell you what devices are transmitting in the area. Often a damn site easier to use than trying to work out what is happening from routers and computers.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

Don't know about an app - my Samsung phone does that anyway. Similar to a laptop. My phone is PAYG, so I use WiFi quite a bit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)
<snip>

I've had faulty stuff exchanged by TP-Link without a receipt because the 'manufactured date' made it still inside the 3 years. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

It was phoning the premium rate number to get a return code which rather put me off.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They also offer email and chat support (free):

I have also had things replaced without a problem in the past.

Reply to
JoeJoe

Which is how I've always done in (an the online chat has been very good / accurate / informative).

Including things that had been thrown away by other people and they couldn't bother to deal with. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m