Garden shed: shelf timber sizing

Management has got herself a garden shed and has nominated myself to install a couple of shelves along the 2400mm side to hold various 'useful' but not too heavy items that are currently preventing me putting my car in the garage.

The rear support will be screwed to five vertical framing timbers, but what size support do I need along the front to prevent too much of a sag?

Nothing IME with either decking slats or 1" nominal thickness (20-22mm finished) planking as the shelves.

I used some 8x1" PAR for mine and it's got lots of heavy stuff on.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Thanks, and I realise now that the question was ambiguous... I wasn't intending any vertical supports, just horizontal 2400mm long timbers.

I'd use standard shelf brackets like these

sized to suit the width of shelf you're planning, screwed to the framing timbers, so you'll need five off, and forget the rear shelf support. Worked for me.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

If you really mean a 2.4 metre long shelf with no intermediate supports then I think you'll need something rather more than 1" thick. I'd add some supports, they don't have to be anything very fancy, just those cheap pressed steel shelf brackets are fine as intermediate support.

Reply to
Chris Green

1" planking will do just fine.

I used twinslot as it makes it easy to fiddle with the spacings :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

He said 5 supports.

Reply to
Tim Watts

+1
Reply to
ARW

Because I had some I used ply and cut in triangle shape, fixed these to the verticals and sat shelf on top.

Reply to
ss

I'd avoid the really cheap ones in a garden shed, they will rust. I'd look at those shelving systems with a vertical rail on the wall (frameing timbers) and slot in brackets all made from aluminium. Won't corrode and allows complete flexabilty in shelf length, spacings etc. I doubt the OPs management has any real idea of what they actually want...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You could probably get the cheapest IKEA timber shelving, whatever it is called since Sten was discontinued.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

+2
Reply to
newshound

I'm all for slotted shelving systems and have used them (mostly Element 32) everywhere, from bedroom cupboards, lounge alcoves to the garage (all the way round). So strong, so flexible, so simple. ;-)

I know mine CGAF, as long as the stuff get's tidied up. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Oh and I forgot to add, 'so reusable. Once you have bought it it will generally last forever and it only takes a quick clean and re-spray to re-purpose it from garage to lounge (with the current trend for the 'industrial' look).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You don't know her...

And that's what I went for: thanks.

Easier to 'build' and I don't know why I didn't think of it in the first place except I've been putting together too many wooden structures recently so was in 'wood mode'.

Thanks, all, for the other suggestions.

For lounge use, there's some very tasty chromed twinslot that looks the mutt's nuts. And surprisingly not expensive!

Reply to
Tim Watts