SDS chuck conversion

Gentlemen,

I got this Makita SDS+ drill a while ago and it does what it claims to do, but is somewhat limited in that it can only accept SDS bits. It would be really useful if it could be adapted to accept normal HSS twist drills as well (not permanently adapted by just when required). Anyone know a viable way of doing this?

CD

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Richard

The site is down right now and has been for quite some time, it seems. :(

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

You cannot use these chucks in hammer mode! In my experience the chuck works but tends to make the drill a bit cumbersome. Best suited to larger "normal" drill bits.

Reply to
alan_m

I have one of these (keyless chuck for SDS+) but I hardly ever use it. Much better results come from using a separate non-impact drill when precision is required. I have a very nice Skill drill with two-speed gearbox and variable speed trigger which provides a decent amount of torque at 60rpm. It is 50 years old!

John

Reply to
John Walliker

Apologies. Correct url:

Richard

With my Metabo, the SDS chuck twists off, and a conventional chuck can be swapped in instead. The conventional chuck doesn't link with the hammer mode. I don't know if the Makita SDS chuck is removable/swappable.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Just beware with the adaptor chucks that less than 1 second in hammer mode is all it takes to destroy them.

Reply to
Animal

I agree with you.... But there are standard drills around with a standard chuck that have a hammer mode on the drill itself.....

So it would be easy for someone who had an ordinary drill with hammer mode and an SDS drill to "assume" that a drill chuck adapter should also be able to support hammer mode when used with a SDS drill.

Reply to
SH

I bought a standard chuck which fits into my SDS chuck. Saves carting an exctra drill around.

Reply to
charles

No, it's just that there's a bit missing from the link which hasn't wrapped Try this one instead:

Roger Mills

FWIW my 18V Mak DHR243Z SDS has two chucks - one SDS and one conventional, they're fairly easy to swap.

Before my old DW SDS drill died I occasionally used a standard chuck mounted on an SDS shaft, but it made the thing very cumbersome.

Reply to
nothanks

I thought it would be useful when I bought my first SDS some 30 years ago. But a wobbly chuck sticking a long way out from the drill near useless.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

As does my mains HR2470, though it makes for quite a long beast as a conventional drill, I've only one needed the extra "oomph" to drill desk-grommet holes in 40mm thick oak.

Reply to
Andy Burns

As with any screwfix URL with "slash p slash" in it, the descriptive crap in the middle is not required and can be removed or shortened, e.g.

Andy Burns

Depends on which model of drill it is. Some accept an interchangeable traditional chuck. For all the others you can get an add on chuck with a SDS mount on the back of it. (makes for a long and wobbly setup though)

Reply to
John Rumm

In case anyone doesn't know, hammer mode & SDS hammer mode are different animals

Reply to
Animal

With quite a significant difference in the impact energy per blow!

Many add on chucks don't have the elongated flues in the shaft required to enable them to interact with the hammer in the drill.

Reply to
John Rumm

+1

Useless for precision especially with small drill bits. My purchase of such a chuck was because of the same though process as yours. The number of times I've use the chuck has been minimal in all the time I've had it.

Reply to
alan_m

These chuck adapters have the standard SDS flutes or they wouldn't fit into the sds mecanism. The problem is that when used in the SDS drill in hammer mode the SDS is not hammimg the drill bit but is hammering the adapter chuck instead. Seeing how a SDS can hammer through concrete with ease a chuck built down to low price doesn't stand a change

Reply to
alan_m