The oil filter quagmire

It should be simple to buy an oil filter for the FS481V engine in the mower, but it needs a crap filter to work out which oil filters are/aren't any good. I was nearly caught by the use of the word "genuine" in adverts, but then realised the sellers are using the word as a brand - sneaky ba$tards! So, how to tell if an oil filter is any good, or is a genuine Kawasaki (for example) or just a genuine "genuine"?

Reply to
nothanks

put "genuine kawasaki" in quotes ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

A mower engine with a filter? It must be a fairly “high end” one then. ;-). Given that most don’t have a filter or oil pump, is it worth worrying about too much? My old B&S mower soldiers on despite having seized once due to lack of oil.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

My B&S mower engine failed to seize despite the oil being completely below the dipstick! Sadly, I have one mower with a B&S engine (which uses a horrible diaphragm fuel pump and an unstable speed regulator) but a very good quality Hayter body and another with an excellent Honda 4.5 engine with gravity fuel feed on a Mountfield body that is rusting away. I wonder whether the engine mountings are compatible so that I could make one really good mower?

John

Reply to
John Walliker

I doubt if many cars are fitted with genuine oil filters unless serviced at the dealer. I also doubt if Kawasaki actually make oil filters.

Reply to
alan_m

There's one way to find out... Let us know ho it goes! A Haytey/Honda?

I have a self-propelled Hayter mower, but it used to be used by a gardener who had lost his right arm on the Burma Railway, so the throttle control was modified for or by him. Now it's 'fail-unsafe', if you let everything go, it takes off down the garden on its own.

Reply to
Davey

If only. Amazon and Ebay will throw up lost of nonsense regardless of what you ask for, though it is possible, if tedious, to fine tune a Google search

Reply to
fred

I'd be inclined to ask Kawaski for recommendations

Reply to
fred

Yes, I usually use google to search amazon and ebay, rather than their own search engines.

Reply to
Andy Burns

My mowers are 20 and 35 years old and Ive never changed a filter or the oil

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If is in fact FAR easier to fine tune an ebay search than a google search because ebay does allow wildcards and google doesn't.

And aliexpress is even worse than amazon and both are far worse than ebay.

Reply to
farter