Apprentice expresses his opinion that I got it wrong

The useless one was tasked with mounting a 1g 25mm metal back box to the wall.

The knockouts were removed and he was told to mount the box with the removed knockouts at the top.

20 minutes later the box was finally mounted to the wall upside down and not level.

Me "You have mounted the box upside down"

Useless one "No - you got it wrong - I have done it with the writing [manufacturers name and BS number stamp] the right way up"

FFS.

Reply to
ARW

That is what is known as trying to apply logic when the instructions were given for a reason. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

You must have removed the wrong knockouts :)

Reply to
F Murtz

writing

Yep, OCD says that the makers name and standards mark must be the right way up. If some oaf removes knockouts such that when the box is mounted correctly the open knockouts are in the wrong place that's their problem.

The OCD argument falls over with the box not being level. Even though that requirement was not in the spec.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Unless it's one of those boxes that has differently positioned knockouts on each side.

Reply to
Bob Eager

With a socket box, I normally mount it so the earth terminal is most accessible - which may well be 'upside down'

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

That is why he was given specific instructions to mount the box that way.

Not sure about the OCD. The box where he was given no instructions on the orientation had the writing vertical and the adjustable lug at the top.

This is the one that said the washer bottle on the van would not fill up.

Reply to
ARW

You do realise that back boxs are manufactured to take compression loads in one direction only, mounting upside down significantly reduces the structural integrity of a building.

It sounds as if the apprentice has saved you for a potentially nasty legal claim.

Reply to
Pancho

You really really need to get on the selection board (or whatever) for your apprentices. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

He must have been right because you are too old to know anything, and he is at the age where they know everything.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

His Dad is a ex joiner and now a contracts manager for a large building firm.

When he asked me how his son was getting along all I said was "Apprentices get worse every year and your son is no exception"

Reply to
ARW

Is it April 1st already?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's why you use back box acrow props in these situations.

Reply to
alan_m

Yes that would be the logic. I actually found many people who had been to Uni tended to think when it was not required, and not think when it was. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Did he have a good level, hint the level in an Iphone is not calibrated very well since there is no flat bottom. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Have you ever found a box where the usual way of knocking them out results in the plastic cracking? I bought one from Tandy from there where is as is sale bin, and that did that, but it looked fine in its packing.. grin. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

So was it one of the boxes where you can screw it in with slots instead of holes so the screws do not have to be that accurate? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

On the other hand he may have been watching the old TV Series, Cowboys or Charlie Drake, The Worker, both of which found comedy in the ineptitude of working folk.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Does the father own a demolition business? Perhaps that is his calling? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Steel back boxes normally have adjustable lugs, so if the box isn't quite square, the fitting can be. In an old house they can look better set by eye rather than a spirit level.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News