How to stop a door from opening fully?

Hi,

I have a door in an en-suite that if allowed to open right up bashes the radiator, this being on the wall the door frame is on so it is the bit of the door nearest the hinge that makes contact.

I can't put a doorstop in as it will be in the way, as would a high-level one. Can't put a door opener on as that would be on the side of the door in the bedroom and look daft.

Any ideas as to how I can stop this door before it reaches the rad? If I put a doorstop close to the wall that might cause hassle for the hinges as most of the door would be the wrong side of the stop - and I can imagine our kids pushing and pushing 'till the hinges pull out of the frame!

TIA

Reply to
KFY

Kill the kids.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I was going to suggest one of these:

since you are worried about the strength of said frame that probably isn't such a good idea ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

A bit of chain between the top of the door and the frame?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

How about attaching something to the radiator? Rubber/Foam strips of some sort?

Reply to
The Void

Put the door-stop on the door!

Reply to
John Flax

It's the leverage that worries me so a stop on the door won't help. The place it meets the rad is closes to the hinges and there is plenty of mechanical advantage of door versus hinges/frame. And to make it worse there is nothing near the door that could have a stop attached - the first thing it meets is the rad and then it's to late.

(I wanted the door to open the other way of course!)

Reply to
KFY

In article , KFY writes

Move the rad or replace it with a towel rail type that's a different shape, allowing the door more room to swing? I.e. vertical rather than horizontal?

Reply to
Peter Twydell

Why not hinge the door on the other side then?

I instructed Spouse to re-hang all our doors like that many years ago, after doing it we couldn't understand why architects/buildiers hang them the way they do.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Can you not put some spongy material on the floor (in an arc shape with the point at the door-frame juncture). Thus when the door opens it meets the spongy resistence before the radiator. If the spongy is the same colour as the carpet then its not so noticable. Also being in the corner its not an area frequented by people.

Reply to
Aunt Buffy

Ah, but it was her that wanted it the way it is! Anyway the other way would cure the rad problem but knock into the loo instead. Lost cause...

Reply to
KFY

Tell you what,. knock down the wall between the bathroom (?) and wherever else. Then she can have a wonderfully large room with no problems ...

If she doesn't like that why on Earth did she move into the house in the first place?

Mary In this house for 41 years.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Perhaps you should put a door in...

Reply to
The Void

I'm not an advocate of open plan, we do have doors into every room, just not hung in their original way.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I think a roller shutter would work better for me...

Reply to
KFY

At least I have something that worked: attach a hook to the frame, on the top corner thereof, and another hook on the top of the door. Attach nylon fishing line to frame hook, pass it through door hook, and tie a weight on the end. The weight needs a softish outer so it doesnt damage things. Now as the door opens and closes, the weight keeps the nylon taut, and gently pulls the door closed. It also limits door travel. This was for one of those special situations too.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

I meant one connecting your house with the outside world.

41 years is a long time.

.....I'll get me coat.

Reply to
The Void

I found it rather amusing and didn't need the explanation.

I was going to say "I bet it smells in there"

Reply to
Pet

Oh nice! And simple too, I hope I remember that, thanks.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Oh I see! Nice - sorry to be so thick ...

No, come back. I'll try to be more alert.

:-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher