Damn Pigeon

I get woken every morning by a damn pigeon (or two or more). I think they live in a neighbour's Leylandai. (another story!!)

Is there anything that I can do to deter pigeons from the immediate area - they tend to go from TV Aerial - to roof ridge - to tree, so those spiky things are not appropriate.

The Electricity Supply company fitted a plastic owl to a pylon a few miles away to keep birds off the cables (and crapping on Mrs Thingy's washing line) Would a similar approach work with these flying rats?

Reply to
John

What's the problem with them? What kind of pigeon are they?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The problem is the noise as soon as it gets light. I like the window open so double glazing doesn't help.

Not sure which breed.

Reply to
John

I love the coo-ing of pigeons.

We also have the baby-like sounds of starlings, the screaming of swifts, the songs of thrush and blackbirds and the twittering of sparrows. That's early in the morning, the rest of the day is a-noise with lots of other types of birds, it's a privilege to hear them. Our lives wouldn't be as rich without them.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

snip

You wait until you get a family of pheasants digging divots out of the garden and making that dam awful racket at dawn, not to mention making holes in the fruit cage netting to gorge themselves on MY gooseberries and cane fruits and you may not be so appreciative.

Not too mention rooks that decided to buld nests in the trees overshadowing where we park cars. Its unbelievable the amount of crap they can excrete with unerring accuracy

And then we have the house martins who love(d) nesting in the apex of the eaves not to mention inside a small workshop. A fine bloody mess they made of the gable walls of the house until their nests where repeatedly dislodged (Yes, after they had finished nesting)

We do have pidgeons nesting in an old oak tree at the bottom garden but I don't mind them, though a local sparrow hawk downed two of them last year, one while I watched. He nearly had to fight off the magpies to get his fill.

Rabbits, which to SWMBO where little bunnies until she discovered why they where making tracks in the snow, to nibble her precious flowers down to the ground, at which time I got my instructions and we all got rabbit stew.

Yes a db shotgun is very effective and swmbo a fine cook

The joys of living in the country

Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

I wish I a) lived in an area where there were pheasants and b) that I had that sixe of garden ...

You could always move - I'll swap our house for yours ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Most likely wood pigeons if they are cooing.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Live and let live

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Woo-Woo-wo.

The noise is not attractive. Some birds sound really nice - I don't wish to harm them - just sent the damn things elsewhere.

Reply to
John

That's a subjective opinion. I like it.

Perhaps they'd like to send you elsewhere :-)))

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

12 bore
Reply to
Nige

Used on the neighbour. Then get rid of the Leylandai.

Reply to
BigWallop

If they are anything like ,mine, a rifle pointed at them from any distance less than 100yds is sufficient.

If they get used to it, fire it.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed. thank the lord they aren't peacocks. Or BAE Tornadoes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I thought sixe was a part of fencing? Oh well. It fits. Sort of....:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Cue theme to "Live and let die" played at 11".

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Buy a good air rifle. Practice at an appropriate range (distance). Shoot them and make them into pies.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built

Don't bother with pies. Cut off the breasts and cook them, quickly, in butter with mushrooms and onions ... bliss.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

If you have a direct line of sight to the tree and there's nothing behind, try a black widow catapult with some suitable projectiles. No need to hit the pidgeons, the sound of the leaves or branches being hit should scare them off. Sugarlumps would fragment on impact nicely and leave no traces.

Maybe the best thing would be to get used to it, also some daily exercise improves sleep.

cheers, Pete

Reply to
Pete C

Where can I get one of those amps that go up to 11?

Reply to
Peter Twydell