Damn Plumbing - Damn Faucett Packing

Of all the crap I do and do very well, f'n plumbing I hate. Of course, because I suck at it. And of course, because I don't do much of it.

With that out of the way...

Simple thing - faucett packing. Never have much luck with it. When possible I just replace the valve. Tried back a way to repack a hose bib. Lasted a week at best. Sweated a new one on from under house. Sweating I can manage pretty good.

This is a case where sweating a new fitting on isn't straight forward. In one of those laundry cubbyholes. Wood on 3 sides of the pipes like an inch away, pipe is short and covered with years of paint. Don't have a plumbers heat shield. Figured once again I'd try repacking the bonnet. Fortunately upper valve unscrews from it's lower piece that was sweated to supply 30 years ago.

I repack (white Teflon), put new shutoff washer and base washer. Lightly snug bonnet and turn on water with plan to tighten until it stops leaking so I don't over tighten it. Do that and OK. Open and close valve a few times and there's signs of moisture. Mumble mutha f#$*!er although not totally surprised. Tighten some more. Few on/offs. Signs of stem moisture again. Tighten some more. Seems OK. I have as much faith in it not seeping in the future as I do the deficit being balanced out.

I'm sure I'm gonna end up going through taking the old valves off totally and replacing if I want any confidence in no leaking.

Anyone wanna toss out "You dumb shit. You have to yadda yadda if you expect it to work."?

Red...

Reply to
Red Green

I never tried Teflon packing. I always use graphite with a dab of plumbing grease. Your water pressure may be over fifty PSI if you=92re having so many problems.

Reply to
Molly Brown

Reply to
Don & Lucille

If it's nothing more severe than a sign of moisture then I'd let it sit for a while. Generally it will stop on its own. MLD

Reply to
MLD

I have the same problem on an outside hose faucet. I just found Danco Felt Bonnet Packing at HD during a search online. It's cheap enough and seems to come in various sizes and might be worth a shot.

Reply to
NickySantoro