Pigeon repellant?

I installed two TV camera under the eves of my house. The %%% pigeons use it as a landing point and crap all over my garage apron.

What might serve as a pigeon repellant, at reasonable cost? They make so-called pigeon spikes but they are quite expensive on the internet.

Thanks for any help

Reply to
WER

A used 20 gauge shotgun.

Reply to
LoboTony

"WER" wrote in news:i8sk7j$kq3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

More expensive than 2 CCTV cameras?

MAKE YOU OWN. Some small nails, a few strips of plastic and a roll of Scotch double stick foam tape should not break your budget.

SIGH.

Reply to
thanatoid

There must be better solutions!

Reply to
WER

Rubber/fake snake. Owl or hawk decoy.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Now you know why commercial cameras are almost always enclosed in those plastic bubbles now. Clear, silver, or smoked, depending on camera and application. You can get full bubbles, half bubbles, 1/4 bubbles, etc. Not cheap, though. They are available on-line.

For a low-buck alternative, check the plastic basement window well protectors at the borg, and see if they are clear enough. Or you could always build a box out of plexiglas, and find some way to hang it. Pigeons home in on any horizontal surface or perch that is out of the sun, wind, and rain. Find some way to eliminate that, and they will go elsewhere.

By the way, those spike things don't work real well. They put those up on the office tower where I work, and the pigeons used them as anchor points for their nests. Weave enough twigs and grass around the spikes for the foundation, and build up from there, and the nest ends up being very durable. Maybe outer window sills with a 45 degree slope and a teflon coating would work. Pigeons are very adaptive, and can make a home about anywhere.

Reply to
aemeijers

Sounds good. Goes well with the two fake TV cameras.

Reply to
WER

I'd be thinking air rifle and pointy hunting pellets. Nearly silent, and not likely to attract much attention.

Glad the cops didn't interfere with her pigeon shoot. Well, until they really had to do something.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Just as absurd if the OP lives within city limits. At least I wasn't being 'serious' like you.

Reply to
LoboTony

I had a customer who was having problems with the flying rats. He put up an owl decoy and when I climbed on the roof to check on things, there was a pigeon screwing the decoy and glaring at me for interrupting him.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

AZ Nomad

Found it:

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

A shotgun??

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

LOL at this post Smitty.

As a young boy, I am now almost 60, I recall the city police using the pigeons on the court house for target practice. Would scare the s*** right out of you if you could not see what was going on.

For the OP there is some chemical, if it hasn't been banned, that roofs can be treated with that give them "hot feet" and discourages them.

Blocking any areas where they might like to hang out or a pellet gun are also good options. In this day and age I would refrain from real firearms unless you live in the country.

Send PETA a pigeon or two.

Reply to
Colbyt

Try a felis catus domestica.

Reply to
Jack Hammer

The courthouse where I grew up used recordings of shotgun blasts. It worked for a while.

PETA wouldn't be happy.

Squab on a spit.

Reply to
krw

I was a steel erection contractor for nine years. I was called on to create pigeon barriers.

You have to understand pigeons to win in a chess game with them.

Pigeons don't sit out in the open a lot because they become prey. They will, however, tenaciously, hold to a site that provides nesting or resting or some type of protective cover. It may be time consuming and labor intensive, but blocking all access to the holes where pigeons can make nests will deter them. You don't have to go buy the expensive pigeon spikes, but can use common hardware wire and a staple gun. This will involve removing nests, nesting materials and live chicks. But when Ma and Pa come home, and the entire condo is wiped off the map and Junior and Missy are MIA, they will find another nest site.

If, after you block nesting sites, and that may only mean sites where they can stay one night, they still like to sit on your building for some reason, get a low voltage fence shocker. Get some PVC pipe, make an attractive landing perch, and spiral two wires around it so when they land, they get two wires and a good jolt. Takes about two days to clear out the stragglers.

Killing them, poisoning them, and other radical means work, but you have to stay there 24/7. Removing resting and nesting sites works the best.

It will take a while, as they have left their calling cards. Power spray the area, using a bleach spray first.

If they can't land, can't rest, and can't nest, there's nothing there they want.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Even with a quiet BB gun or pellet gun, you have to sit out there 24/7. And then someone will notice all the pigeon carcasses, and your troubles will have only begun. People who suggest shooting never think of, "What do you do with the bodies?"

And it only takes a short time until your house looks like one in Beirut.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

So, how's that going to go over in your neighborhood, Bunkie?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I was lucky. I got to the nest while the eggs hadn't hatched yet. So I just removed the eggs and smashed them.

-- Steven L.

Reply to
Steven L.