How to prolong the life of your petrol-engined car!

wrote:

I have never read such garbage. Well these things you do read on the Internet.
_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account
Capitol wrote:

Well there you are. Electronics basically hasn't changed, but the way we use it has.
Lets agree that we agre on what's happened, but choose to describe it in different ways.
I have been astounded to find that the analogue chips I used in the 80's are in fact still in production today.
But if you say 'TTL' to anyone they either laugh, or think you are referring to IP packets...
The one technology that has happened though, is that te power switching FETS offer reliable fast switched mode voltage transformation - light and cheap.,
That's one of the key elements of a DC car.
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Well, in a sense, it can, at a price...

I am not so sure. The thought of filling up for a couple of quid is attractive, and lets face it, it need not be every night.

I think not Dave.
Not the engine itself. Definitely lighter vehicles though, and better management of power. But these are only stopgaps.
The physics of heat engines make it hard to exceed more than 50% efficiency even in a huge stationary heat engine like a power station.
I've been over and oer this in my mind, and done a fair bit of research.
And teh answres are starng you in teh face. the ONLY technology that makes sens right now, to be ready in 10-15 years tme, is LIPO battery vehicles and nuclear generating sets.
Plus a smattering of hydrogen where extreme energy density and portability is needed.
And probably a bit of biodiesel to run the war machines on.
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

The sad reality is that you already fill up for a few quid... the bulk of the extra cost you pay is tax. You can soon see some bright spark of a chancellor decreeing that electricity used for cars will be taxed at 300%...
--
Cheers,

John.

Yup.
--
*When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

John Rumm wrote:

..and how would he know that?
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Aproved charging sockets that print a receipt for charge delivered (and upload this information and bill electronically), coupled with onboard monitoring by the car that tracks the total charge used. Tee two sets of records could be cross checked at MOT time (or failing every time that you drive past a road side beacon) and the difference charged to you.
--
Cheers,

John.

All they need is introduce Land Value Tax and no need for this Tomfoolery.
_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account
John Rumm wrote:

FAR too complex.
I would suggest that some other form of taxation wold be introduced.
Massive road tax for example.

Then the Pikeys get away with it yet again.
_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I was not putting that forward as a suggestion, more as a "there are plenty of ways it could be done if they want".
Having said that, much of the technology that would support road side comms to moving vehicles is already being rolled out (what is worse, I built some of it!), and would be pre-existing by then anyway.
--
Cheers,

John.

You have the RFL for electric cars upped to 2000 quid a year? Or whatever the average tax loss is?
Rule 1. The bastards will grind you down.
--
*Why is it called tourist season if we can't shoot at them?

They do it with home produced bio-fuels for vehicle use. You have to send them about 23p for every litre you make.
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:49:53 -0000, a particular chimpanzee named

It's a good job then that these vehicles do 200 mpg ;-)
--
Hugo Nebula

Well, yes, but we're nowhere near 50% on the average car engine yet - especially under light loading.
--
*I used up all my sick days so I called in dead

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Exactly., And its very hard to get there. Thats one of the reasons the hybrid has some promise - run the engine where its efficient, or shut it down.
Hard to say what an electric can do efficiency wise. At best rated state, over 95% is on, but at part throttle is a lot more problematic. Of course at traffic lights they use nothing at all.
But my guess is that the overall fossil fuel to power station to transmission loss to battery loss to controller loss to motor loss is better than IC, but not hugely.
The real gains come if you don't burn fossil fuels in the power generating sets. And on the streets which are quieter and cleaner.

You can shut down an IC engine as well when it's not in use. But of course, cars are used for all sorts of things - not only commuting in heavy traffic. And once you talk about 'motorway' use, the electric vehicle looses all its benefits. The losses in charging a battery become equally as significant as the losses in an IC engine.

But the losses in charging the battery?

Yup.
Yes. If all you want to do is move pollution from one area to another...
--
*All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my hand *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

No, they don't actually.
Battries are not 50% efficient - they are far better than that.
There are issues in the overall GENERATION and TRASMISSION efficiency, but these are o worse, and, if you repalce carbon fulled generators with wind or nuclear, the pollution aspect goes way down.

say 15%?

No. Because electricity can be generared by carbon neutral means.
- hydro - wind - nuclear - biomass if you must...
The iverall energy equations of such a setup are hat no more energy is used - in practice possibly less - and it can be generated by other means than teh burning of fossil fuels - which is the greatest environmental danger.

See: http://greennature.com/article2298.html
_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account
writes

Most people would read the "some experts" and "most promising" and "up to 300 miles" as not being as cast iron as you do John, as people say you are an advertisers dream, this article is what's called an edivert
--
David