How to prolong the life of your petrol-engined car!

wrote:

engineers
want
has
As
claim
just
offer
Mr Dot, I you anything about current developments in battery technology you will know it is all true. Even the unnatural fella is lauding it. BTW, EVworld is not a company, it a mag devoted to EVs, and say it as it is. having no vested interest in any technology. Large auto makers will not adopt a battery until they have tested it for a year.
Do I really have to spell it out for you like you are a child.
_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account
writes

You really are an idiot John, who do you think writes ediverts? magazines and newspapers are where you find them based on information they get from the manufacturers which is why they refer to "some experts" etc. I can see why you are so misguided, you thought they were all independent didn't you? Having had many years of experience of sending articles in to be published in trade magazines I know exactly the sort of stuff that gets published and in publishing they never let the facts get in the way of a good story
--
.

who
enough
car
are
you
<snip inflamatory remarks>
If you wanmt to know what is happening in battery technology then find out. Then come back and say IIMM you were right. Stop babbling tripe.
_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account
IMM wrote:

Dimm wit. You are in this case, partially right, but that still doesn't make you any less an idiot.
Even a parrot can be taught to say 'LIthium Batteries Good. Petrol Bad, Peterol Bad Petrol bad...

BTW,
not
out.
<snip inflammatory remarks>

And they can't even do what a parrot does.
_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account
It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the
something like:

Quite right too. Tripe babblers should be taken out and beaten to within an inch of their lives. Up and down the country there are countless thousands of pots full of tripe on cooking stoves, continuously babbling away and filling the houses with the smell of tripe and onions.
--

Dave

saying

I fully agree with that. Well said!
IMM wrote:
Even the unnatural fella is lauding it.
I'm not lauding it.
I am merely saying it is technically possible. And has been done. Albeit in a primitive at huge cost.

The first of anything that is cutting edge technology usually costs an arm and leg. Look at early computers.
_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account

You might ponder why every car maker in the world sticks to lead acid if these wonderful new battery technologies were the answer you seem to think they are to everything. After all, the cost can't be a factor, and size and weight are always a consideration on any modern car.

Unfortunately, it's your child like acceptance of adverts or maker's claims without any attempt to verify them that makes you the laughing stock of this newsgroup.
BTW, did the penis enlargement pills work for you?
--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled? *

Oh my God, some people are some mentally incapable. They are NEW and are still under development/testing which has already been mentioned. And he wonders why they are not here already. My God!
Do I really have to spell it out for you like you are a child, are totally incapable of reading simple English or reading an overview technical article.
_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account

So it's the first new type of rechargeable battery since the invention of lead acid? Ever thought why Ni-Cads weren't used for cars given their obvious advantages in IMM speak? Or any of the later replacements?

You need to think. Fat chance. You just believe every advert you read, without questioning it, let alone understanding the implications.
--
*Life is hard; then you nap

You have limited powers of comprehension and near zero power of analysis. Sad but true. ..............and you have no shame.
_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account

Ok. Explain how a new design of electric motor driving an extractor fan can use 10% of the energy of a conventional one?
In words I - and others - can understand?
--
*You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive *

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

poor energy density, and expense.
Lead acid is cheap as chips, and safe, and reliable.
Its just naffing heavy.
Nickel is not that much lighter, and is more expensive by a long chalk.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Cost reliability and safety Dave.

I can do you a 75 Ah 12.4 volt pack for....$5,000..that will fit your car and weigh...about 10lb. Are you happy to pay $5000 for a battery that will only last the same time as a normal one, and although it weighs maybe 1/4, is not significant in the overall weight reduction, will need an adapted alternator, and, if shorted, is capable of exploding with considerable force and very high temperatures?
http://www.unipros.com/cbpsite/lipodanger.asp?session_id 1428
When you can pop into halfords and get a lead acd for about $100?

Indeed, but don't let IMM's idiocy blind you to the fact that occasionally wquite at random he does read something that is in fact more or less correct.
I reckon a 10 hour 13A 230v charge will put 30Kw/h into a pack.
If the average small car needs an average of - say - 10bhp - or 7.5KW to tootle along at 60mph, that nets you about 240 miles range. More with regenerative braking, extra light weight and reduced performance etc.
The batteries themselves are capable of fully discharging in 20 minutes or indeed far less - giving you a peak power of at least 90kW, or 120bhp. In our model aircraft use, currents of up to 20 times the capacity rating have ben drawn, giving peak power of such a pack of 600KW - 800bhp!!!
Scaling up the weights from a a typical small cell delivering about 56 watt hours per lb, we get 30kwh weighing in at about 540lb in weight. Or about 1/4 ton. Or about three average adult passengers. In again our moel plane usage, teh battery represnets 75% or more of the total powertrain weight - motor, gearbox and controller. So 750lb for such a power train seems not unresanable.
The average engine, gearbox fuel and tank, and tranmission on a small car weighs in at a similar figure.
Sadly however, the current price of about $2.5 per watt hour, makes this pack an astonishing $75,000 to buy at current 'hobby' prices.
Thse who are interested I refer to
www.enerland.com who make the cells http://www.unipros.com/cbpsite/packs.asp?cat=LIPO&session_id 1428 who sell them in small quantites for toy plane usage.
The road going porsche beater sports car that averaged 60mph for 300 mile on a charge used a while pack of such cells. It proved a point. It was not commercially viable.
However there seems no intrinsic reason why the cells could not be produced in enormous volume, and suitable electronics rwapped around them to prevent poblesm with over charging.discharging, and an electric car prouced ultimately at comarable cost to a petrol oe. Albeit that the running costs would be largely battery replacement costs, rather than fuel. 300 cycles/3 years (a range of maybe 100,000 miles or 3 years or so between battery replacement) being the best we could hope to see.
I would say development wold take around ten years to be truly commercially viable though.
As far as elecrical costs go, 30KWh even at peak rates of about 7p per unit is a mere 2.10 to fill up your tank ....
Asfar as distribution infrastructure goes, I am sure tha a single 3Kw overnight load on every household is within current (sic!) capabilites..

think
Ever occurred to you that Lith Poly is not yet on the market? So, the makers have no option but to use what is available? Where do they come from?? No common sense whatsoever!
<snip ramblings not worth noting>
Now the following is a bit better.

_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

    You are not allowed to airfreight larger Lithium batteries because of the explosion risk!

    I doubt it, say 22M households = 30 M cars. 270M extra KW required overnight. I suspect we might need a few new real power stations, not wind generators.
    Regards     Capitol

An onboard freewheeling piston Stirling for recharging is the way. Small and highly efficient.
_________________________________________ Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server More than 120,000 groups Unlimited download http://www.usenetzone.com to open account
Capitol wrote:

That's assuming everyone does 300 miles a day. Besides peak charge rate is only 3 kW, so 30M cars is 90,000 MW only.
Would not be surprised if you could not get that back by switching off all the street lamps. And traffic lights.
In reality I am fairly sure that most drivers would charge about once a week, dividing that by 7, to get 13GW as the total extra burden.
A GW is about what a large power station produces. So 13 power stations would keep most of the country on the roads by day,and the 3KW per household is not a bad estimate for what is drawn by a given household on average anyway. I would estimate 1-2KW is the average draw, most by day, which sort of means peak capacity is probably 2-4Kw/household.
Adding - for a once a week charge - another 450W to overnight demand is not a huge increase.
Anyway, maths aside, the grid could almost certainly cope as long as most charging is off peak, which it would be, and I suspect the only impact on power stations would be that some that are shut down overnight would stay up all night. And a few more base load stations would need to be constructed. I'd say half a dozen big nuclear sets could supply nearly all that was needed.