How to prolong the life of your petrol-engined car!

StealthUK wrote:

In general there is not.

Any proof, or are you just making this up?

of
Yes, the basic principles of how the IC engine works !.....

Strange. Suddenly you want proof. But refuse to provide it when anyone asks *you* for it on any of your wilder claims.
International Man of Misinformation rools. KO?
--
*Ham and Eggs: Just a day's work for a chicken, but a lifetime commitment

it.
He is very strange indeed
<snip drivel>

Blends do seem to differ, my old '75 V8 Rover didn't like BP, Shell or Q8 leaded 4 star back in the '90's, it was more than happy on the Esso or Tesco's own brand, even though AIUI they all came from the same distribution depot - you tell me !...
And I do know how to judge an engines performance / well being etc., it's part of my trade.

distribution
I think modern engines, especially injection ones, can adjust to fuels far more readily than in the old days. I remember having to drive only by certain routes as my RS2000 would only happily accept BP or Esso. It really did not like Shell or Mobil despite as you say them all probably coming from the same place.

<snip>
Yes, I hope you are correct, seeing that all modern engines are injection (even if they appear to have what looks like a carb [1]), and have been for a few years now.
[1] single-point injection opposed to multi-point.

far
I think there are still quite a few Far East imports around using carbs. But I think even these have some form of emissions control.

It was my understanding carburettors couldn't be made to pass current Euro emission regs? Otherwise Rover would still be fitting SUs - which made a last gasp stand to conform to the earlier regs.
With a cat, the engine goes closed loop after warming up and keeps the emissions near constant under the control of the Lambda sensor which constantly varies the fuel delivery to achieve this. Altering the mixture on a carb - even automatically - isn't quick enough reacting. You *might* be able to do it with one carb per cylinder, but injection is cheaper...
--
*Ah, I see the f**k-up fairy has visited us again

First car I saw after making this statement this morning was a Punto and I'm sure they only changed to carbs quite recently so I think they managed to pass the regs with carbns before realising injection was cheaper.
The SU was actually a really clever design and a bit of investment in electronics would have made engines like the TR6's quite good.

I agree - provided you have the technology. I'm sure I just recall Top Gear slagging off some cars for still using carbs in a show series before last. Can't remember which ones though.
BTW - what do Morgans use nowadays :-)

A BMW V-8 complete. Now the Rover unit is no more.
--
*Sleep with a photographer and watch things develop

[26 lines snipped]

I'm afraid your memory fails you. There are no current production cars using carbs.

Ford Duratecs with injection.

Of course there might be - but only for use in countries with less stringent emission regs. Which would rule out both the US and Europe. But given the number of nasty two stroke trikes etc still in use in India and Africa, I wouldn't be surprised if carbs might still be ok there.

Ah - forgot the little one. ;-)
--
*OK, so what's the speed of dark? *

Well, quite so. But I thought we were talking about the UK and IMM's woeful memory.
(I have 8.5 litres of Rover V8s and am considering getting another.)
"Well, the guy in question was an old farmer IIRC."
Could it possibly have been agricultural red diesel he was using? No fuel tax on it. Customs & Excise regularly target diesel engined road vehicles used by those with access to red diesel.
"...his car has so far lasted 30 years...."
It may work on a 30 year old engine (Land Rover maybe), but it is probably worth nothing more than it's weight as scrap, so the financial risk is small. I'm not sure I'd like to try it on a modern expensive car engine.
wrote in message

Wasn't my quote I'm afraid.
But cars can use red diesel on the road - provided they are solely used for agricultural use. This of necessity implies a) you live on the farm and b) you have another vehicle to drive to Tesco !
Mike snipped-for-privacy@bt.com typed:

*Registered* as an agricultural Vehicle

Mike wrote:

I use to avoid Shell on my Midgets. Very low octane rating. National 5 star was the best.
I remember Esso being OK, and BP, bt ISTR mobil s OK as well for me. It was the shell something or other blend - powermax? - that turned out to be utter crap.
These days anything goes. I notice more difference in diesel than petrol qualities. Worst case was driving a car transporter back from Yorkshire: after a fill up at a 'cheap ' station it would not go over 45 mph without misfiring and producing huge quantities of white smoke. Filling up with regular motorway blend cured it completely...

<snip>
Yes, true, the BP marketing people do say that...