How to prolong the life of your petrol-engined car!

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Sheer magic of course.
The oil is so copletely unsuable that rPM is restrcted to 1500 by te viscosity. Hence the forces on the chain are greatly reduced.
Actually thats the real snwer to teh OP's question.
Reduce RPM to less than 50% of max, and get 10 times the life.

It is?
<snip babble>

If you can't figure that out............

Look you moron, oil will prevent WEAR, it can't prevent stretching, no oil can - be that mineral or synthetic.
Chains wear even if immersed in oil.
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

You mean te stretch even if immersed in oil, surely...:-)

oil
Yes !

Now there is a first, or at least a first since I returned to this ng. dIMM sticking his head above the parapet and replying to one of Daves posts. He still misses the point of course but perhaps he has finally learned something. On second thoughts perhaps not, his snip drivel, etc. posts have multiplied in recent days. :-)
--
Roger

<snip babbling misinformation>

Oh, I can. Do you know how the tensioner works (or not) on an early A Series?
Let me answer that for you. No.
--
*Why isn't there mouse-flavoured cat food?

You can't
<snip drivel>

So does the correct grade of mineral oil.

Bully for you, 25 years ago I was overhauling A series engines, your point is what exactly ?...

were
jams
after
But the car has done half the mileage, hasn't been use as a town run-about, has a different driver and has had regular oil changes....
:::Jerry:::: wrote:

and has never been taken over 1500 rpm :-)

temperature
heat
tell
run-about,

temperature
heat
tell
<snip drivel>
Another Roger here.

<snip>
You're not related to Frank Spencer by any chance...

He's certainly as accident prone

--
geoff

IMM wrote:

Agreed, but that has nothing to do with cooling...

And this is different from any other oil how exactly? Once it has this heat that it has "taken away" what does it do with it?

You seem to be saying that any oil is better that insufficient oil, or oil that has been broken down. This does not demonstrate any ability of the synthetic oil to "cool better". It demonstrates that in a harsh environment the synthetic will survive better.
--
Cheers,

John.

It just is. All very technical. The boffins told me so, and explained at the time.

Dumps the hot oil in the sump which is being cooled.

were
jams
after
tell
It also cools better.
IMM wrote:

Boffins huh... ;-)
Very technical? It is ok we can do that here, tell us all about it.

So in effect you are saying that the engine is like a boiler, and the sump like a radiator, with the oil taking the place of the water.
It gets pumped over hot bits in the engine, and hence acquires heat. It gets pumped through the sump and looses (some) of it to the atmosphere.
Substitute synthetic oil for chip fat and the above process still seems to work (at least until the engine seizes)

All I can see it that properties of the synthetic oil will keep it doing the job it is supposed to do for longer and in harsher environments.
One of its jobs is cooling, but it does this by acting as a carrier of heat from one place to another. Are you suggesting that the synthetic will somehow absorb and release more heat on each pass through the engine/sump that a non synthetic?
--
Cheers,

John.

His boffins will be in the maker's adverts. Many adverts include a boffin for the good reason it impresses the ignorant. I expect he drives a Renault Megane.
--
*Work is for people who don't know how to fish.