How to permanently untwist a pine plank?

Is there a way to permanently remove a twist from a 9" x 1" pine plank? It' s a nice planed piece, but one end is about 10 degrees out-of-true to the o ther end. If I was using it as a floorboard, it wouldn't be a problem, beca use the act of screwing it down would flatten it, but I want to use it as a shelf that's not fixed in place.

TIA, A

Reply to
wasaol

t's a nice planed piece, but one end is about 10 degrees out-of-true to the other end. If I was using it as a floorboard, it wouldn't be a problem, be cause the act of screwing it down would flatten it, but I want to use it as a shelf that's not fixed in place.

Nope. It's just a shit bit of wood. Probably not correctly cut from the log it was made from.

Reply to
harry

Probably involves a jointer and turning it into a 8½" x ¾" plank ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

I don't think you can do this. If it has a natural warp, then even if steamed straight it will gradually go back.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

9" x 1" is pushing it for a softwood board to be perfectly flat. Splitting it in two, re machining the edges and glueing up might work if you don't have access to a planer. A timber merchant might do it if they're sure there are no hidden fixings
Reply to
Stuart Noble

The twist might be useful if you were making a Viking longship :-)

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

t's a nice planed piece, but one end is about 10 degrees out-of-true to the other end. If I was using it as a floorboard, it wouldn't be a problem, be cause the act of screwing it down would flatten it, but I want to use it as a shelf that's not fixed in place.

No. First it's not doable. Second if it were somehow done, you'd have a pla nk with twist dependant on RH, so it would retwist as the seasons change.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

You must be using something to support it? Can it really not be screwed down while in use?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Grind it up and turn it into MDF?

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Could you screw & glue a 2 x 1 batten on edge along the front edge?

Reply to
David Lang