Perpetual motion???

At last, Praise God! Now we can cancel Hinkley C and save the planet!

Tim W

Reply to
TimW

It is slowing down, and he grabs it just before it stops completely? Either that, or there are electro-magnets in the base making it all work, but I think it's just slowing down.

Reply to
GB

I can remember that little globe you could buy with a rotating multi ended paddle in it one side painted white the other blank and it just went around all the time. Not perpetual motion, just energy doing what energy does I'm afraid.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I can't use facebook. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

This reminds me of the old superconductiing magnets scam. You have to cool the wire generating the field to some ridiculously low temperature, then the current flows round and round. However, if you use that field to do anything the current will decay. I don't believe any perpetual motion ideas. There is no such thing. Entropy goes in just one direction.

I suppose if you could use some of what they call quantum vacuum energy you might do it, but then you are probably sucking the guts out of another universe somewhere. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Crooke`s Radiometer

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

At the start, he does'n't place the ball in the track, lift up and release the track, He drops the ball into the track from maybe only 1 or 2mm which changes everything as to initial conditions

The apparatus isn't in fact slowing down as such, its jerking about as its a (constrained ) double pendulum showing chaotic motion. And as such it could stop at any time.

michael adams

michael adams

There is a point in the cycle if you watch carefully which defies belief (and physics) and must be done with clockwork or magnets or something.

tim W

Reply to
TimW

I can see no inherent reason why, when the ball contacts the outer pad, the arm should bend at the hinge point. Quite the opposite, in fact. With the weight of the ball at the outer end of its travel, and the counter-weight on the other end, the RH side should remain straight. So what's causing the hinge point to drop, thus allowing the ball to roll inwards?

My guess there's a sensor in the outer pad, a reed relay or short-duration switch, that closes as the ball reaches the end stop. This activates a magnet under the hinge, pulling it down, causing the ball to roll into the dip. This allows the reed relay to open, or the short-duration switch turns off, switching off the electromagnet and releasing the hinge, when the counterweight pulls it back up. There's just enough slope on the outer part of the arm to allow the ball to roll out to the end, activate the sensor and the cycle repeats

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Don't believe that for a minute, it's far to lossy with all the bouncing around. As others have said, there will be an electromagnetic system in the base.

Here are some much more elegant medieval versions

newshound

There's no reason why a chaotic system shouldn't have bouncing around. Just as the pivots could all be slack. Strictly speaking of course this isn't a double pendulum, but an apparatus with two pivots and two weights, one moving, which simulate the effects of gravity on a double pendulum.

Its a chaotic system because the movemenbts appear to be irregular, and there's no straightforward linear relationship between the initial condition, the height from which the ball is dropped in the tray and the subsequent behavior of the apparatus and most importantly here how long it continues to pivot.

Basically he'll have been playing around with this and it filming for ages. In some trials it will have stopped in two seconds. This was his most successful trial. Had he spend another couple of weeks at it he may have been able to set a new record, but being a chaotic system he'd be choosing his initial heights at random.

michael adams

michael adams

&qpvt=perpetual+motion+leonardo+da+vinci&FORM=IGRE
Reply to
michael adams

This is a diy, group everybody should be running to their shed.

Reply to
F Murtz

Drinking straws and paper clips on my desk.

Reply to
TimW

Replace the counter weights with brass washers. They drop far to smartly for gravity alone.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Mines not moving right now but it does get a wriggle on when the sun does come out fully.

In fact I'd say it's probably a good indicator of the sort of energy levels you might expect from a solar panel. (On those I have played with), yes, you get something out in 'daylight' but often lot much. Get the sun shining on it and pretty square on directionally and then you can get the full effect / output (hence the reason many solar panels track the sun and why they are best sited in countries with lots of strong sunshine). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Be thankful for small mercies, Brian.

En el artículo , Brian Gaff escribió:

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

The theory of how and why they work is quite interesting too (well, if you are a nerdy physicist).

newshound

No, there's an electro magnet under the pedestal on the right, pulling down the ball bearing periodically.

Reply to
Dave W

That's just because bright photons are heavier and impart more momentum when they stop.

Reply to
dennis