How hot is your house?

Oh well :-)

I just use a PWS phone app that gives raw data

Reply to
RJH

Running at 38 today and last night was not cold enough to cool upstairs, so its very sweaty in the office. Downstairs is sane tho

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Was talking to a firm of Steeplejacks on Friday, said that they've cancelled work yesterday and today, roofs are too hot to go near let alone work on;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

39º outside atm; with 'thermal management', i.e. curtains and blinds closed during the day and then windows and doors open when outside is cooler than inside*, it's 12º - 14º lower inside. *might be a challenge tonight as not only might there be a 'tropical' night but the coolth starts later and later.
Reply to
PeterC

This afternoon here (Cambs) it's been bumping 41C outside:

(the ASHP gets direct sun in the morning so over-reads, but the sun has gone off it now)

Upstairs is 37.6C.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

plenty of wind today though, once thesun goes down that ought to be cooling

Reply to
Andy Burns

Airbases touched 39°C which is truer than london heathrow or cambridge airport...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not really. Still getting Spanish air from 50°C Spain.

But a cold front coming through with some rain on the edge. temps due to drop 10°C in less than an hour. Extrapolate that and we will be in a new ice age by Xmas...:-)

(for those who like to extrapolate short term curves)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Radio Sheffield said that it was 40 deg today at Robin Hood Airport.

I was 5 miles away in at HMP Moorlands. I was fine in the shower blocks (very little ventilation and very little sunlight but they have thick walls) the wings were warming up and getting stuffy in the afternoon, but the sluice room on HB 7 was red hot and stank of shit so I packed in work at 3pm and went to a different job.

Reply to
ARW

No rain made it to here last night, but whoever is sending the wind this morning, it's pleasantly cool.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have a Davies weather station linked to CumulusMX on a spare linux machine. That gives me all the in formation I want.

Reply to
Rob H

Currently 23.1C outside with a NE breeze

Reply to
Rob H

I had two claps of thunder, and five minutes of (light) rain

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You must have some serious solar gain to get inside temps up to that level. My upstairs rooms are about 30C. I have 300mm of loft insulation. Downstairs was 26/21 Wet/Dry according to my mercury greenhouse thermometer

Using my laser thermometer, the band of wall above the south facing windows measure 31.5C but this is the part of the house (North and south) where there is just a single skin block wall and no insulation, that the roof trusses sit on.

The outer brick leaf stops at the top of the windows, and the void above the soffits (at top of window height) is probably at over 50C and conducts right through this un-insulated inner leaf, also assisted by the L-shaped metal lintel over the upstairs windows.

Reply to
Andrew

There's 10m x 0.7m of east-facing glass. Despite two layers of blinds and solar window film it can get 10C above ambient temperature up there in the morning. That's all solar gain, there's little coming through the walls or flat roof. It's a timber loft conversion so not much thermal mass, which doesn't help.

The last two days we left all the windows upstairs open to mitigate the solar gain and allow heat from downstairs to rise. That did roughly work.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I distinctly heard thunder last night, from the direction of the Thames Estuary.

No rain though. It must have been going in a different direction.

Reply to
JNugent

Heard the thunder. No rain.

Reply to
JNugent

In West Surrey we had rain and could hear distant thunder.

Reply to
charles

In East Surrey we had thunder, lightning and rain.

Reply to
The Other John

Sounds like a cue for a song...

Reply to