How long before it reaches London

Ghana has confirmed its first two cases of the deadly Marburg virus, a highly infectious disease in the same family as the virus that causes Ebola.

It says both patients died recently in hospital in the southern Ashanti region.

Reply to
jon

Why is it more concerning that it's in Ghana, than previous outbreak countries?

Andy Burns

Certainly further away than Marburg in Germany.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

The thing is, how is it actually spread? It could be also that it affects people who are not as well as we are more seriously. If there are only two, then one would suspect its not that transmissible. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Apparently one way it's spread is by mixing body fluids.

Reply to
jon

or from fruit bats and green monkeys

Reply to
Andy Burns

It might be a good vector to test and expand the Russian biological warfare program as we have around 100,000 Ghanaians in the city.

Reply to
jon

I suppose the truth is that with air travel you are only hours away from spreading diseases from any part of the world.

Interesting about the Russian research into using it as a biological weapon. How do you stop infecting your side? As we have seen with COVID 19 viruses know no boundaries and even difficult to transmit viruses will spread. If you develop a vaccine for your population as soon as you start to administer it you signal what your intention is.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

As we saw with Covid, developing the vaccine is one thing. Trialling it, so you know it's both reasonably safe and reasonably effective is quite another. Plus producing millions of doses. All in secret!

That may not be a problem for an administration that doesn't give a f*ck about its own population, though.

Reply to
GB