How do women think?

I think it was an episode of "All Creatures, Great and Small" (BICBW).

Reply to
Johny B Good

In what way does a license affect the issue? could you please show reference to the legislation concerning this.

Reply to
F Murtz

I was at a gun show recently and saw a 9mm air rifle.

Reply to
F Murtz

We use the towel etc. The problem is when you're trying to free her afterwards. There always seems to be a flailing paw.

This cat is very regularly handled. She gets stroked about every hour when I'm around (all day right now). She lies on my lap a lot. She gets picked up a lot. I've had her for over a decade. The only time I don't see her is for a couple of hours after the flea treatment while she gives me the cold shoulder.

The other cat just cuddles up and reacts not at all to the stuff.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It might have been, but I had a vaugue recollection there was some other series centering on zoo life - but I'm old and senile so who knows :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

I did consider giving our ex-dog a huge (by comaprison to her 5 i.u. twice daily) overdose of insulin after 5 years on the jab and 14 years old when everything finally stopped working but Deb wouldn't let me so had to pay the £50 or whatever it was they charge for a few seconds work and an injection of green stuff.

Reply to
nobody

Slitting the throat is acceptable practice in all the "kosher" slaughter houses in the UK. What makes a domestic pet any different to farmed animal other than the domestic pet has had a lifetime of happiness whereas the farmed animals the complete opposite.

We have "pet" carp, who are hand fed and interact with humans. Nothing in-humane about bashing one on the head with a priest before chopping it's head off with a spade to end it's suffering.

:¬)

Reply to
nobody

Which is one of the arguments against the wildlife laws in relation to bird keeping,

But it doesnt do much good crying 'human rights abuse' when the rspca have seized captive bred birds, claimed they were wild and released them....

then they wonder why they are found dead shortly after,

a few bird cases lately have been lost by them,

but the damage has been done, the breeders stock of birds has been killed due to them being released to the wild where they can not survive, and any that were seized and not released as wild are too traumatized to ever breed again.

Reply to
Gazz

Ha... Unfortunately the "laws that be" are making the public far less willing to go out of the way to get out of the way... Biggest bunch of R-soles are the Bristol CCTV parking wardens...

ticketed and fined somone for driving into the bus-lane to allow fire engines past. A regular jobsworth copper would have her up for un-restrained passenger, in-secure luggage, not wearing a seatbelt, driving along a pavement, and no doubt driving without due care and attention.

Reply to
nobody

At a place I worked a certain amount of Feral cats were tolerated as they dealt with rodents attracted by grain. Once a year there was a round up of surplus ones, being young broke and attracted to the large overtime plus extra sum for this out of normal task I answered the call for volunteers. That was forty years ago, I still have scars. If cats were man made they would be on that list of illegal knives. No such nicety as a cage ,they got dropped into large Hessian sacks. A vet was on site to despatch them.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

I suspect it's more likely you're right and I'm wrong, having mulled it over. The thing is, I do remember seeing an episode involving sick lions and the use of Jeyes cleaning fluid proving to be the cause. For the life of me, I can't recall the name of the series.

Reply to
Johny B Good

What makes you think she brought the cat food for a dying cat.

Has she cooked you any 'meat' pies since.

Reply to
whisky-dave

That's the one!

Gave it a cup of coffee up the bum to revive it (surely an adrenaline injection would work better?).

Reply to
Tim Watts

I know of a dog that ate a hash cookie, it acted very strange and got sick. The woman that owned it did not know what the problem was and took it to the vet, one of her children's visitors owned the cookies an the dog stole one

Reply to
F Murtz

I can't remember that particular detail, just the fact that 'our hero' finally twigged onto the cause of the mystery sickness when he spotted one of the keepers cleaning out the Lion's cage rinsing the Jeyes fluid off the concrete floor with a hose.

Apparently, even at such a diluted strength, it was still toxic enough to the lions when they were introduced back into the cage before it had been allowed to properly dry out.

Anyhow, I was none the wiser regarding the name of the series but a quick google on "uk zoo vet series" led me to here:

which does appear to describe the series as far as I can remember it.

Reply to
Johny B Good

That looks like the one - must check some Youtube vids - that will confirm it for me :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Watts

How did you catch them? And how the blody hell did a vet manage to inject the cats? (I assume a sedative injuection anywhere into the body before giving the death injection after the sedative had worked).

I use a trap cage with pichards in tomato sauce as bait and refill after removing the local non feral cats that fancied the dish. Although one geedy local ginger cat once worked out that it would soon be removed after eating the food and so it kept going back for more! It never came back after I squirted it with a hosepipe as it sat in the cage looking pleased with itself.

Reply to
ARW

Thanks for the link. Now I know why my initial thought had been ACG&S. It does rather evoke the look and feel of a James Herriot vet story. Similar period and subject matter, so it's not too surprising that I conflated the two.

It's a pity about the quality but I suppose it couln't be helped when the only source available may well have been that off - air recorded VHS tape it's obviously been digitised from. Still, it was good enough to ID the series.

Reply to
Johny B Good

On Tue, 1 Jul 2014 19:26:06 +0100, "ARW" wrote:

The cats were fairly used to people being around so lot didn't attempt run on first sight. The sacks were large ones that Hops were delivered came in. Took 3 people, two holding the sack open and upright . The third grabbed cat by scruff and dropped in sack which the assistants would hold up and underneath simultaneously. Most of the time it worked if you were quick but as you say cats are fast as well. OTOH it was the older getting senile, messy and poor health ones that were picked so they were a bit slower than some of the others. The Vet, who also had an assistant injected the animals through the sack, with what I don't know, I always assumed they found the scruff area by feel and injected into that but to be honest wasn't that close to that end of the proceedings. Maybe what was done then wouldn't be legal now. Previously on the Farm my Dad shot a couple of much loved cats who had reached the stage where life was miserable. Tin of food in the corner of the field and while they devoured it he shot them . In tears afterwards, they can't touch for it now. Nearly 50 years ago and his followed the cats and left this world. As an aside my Brother was asked to shoot some very badly neglected sheep a few years back. Not sure if it was for the Police or RSPCA but it was the Police who did the asking as they knew from licensing it that he had a suitable rifle. He insisted the request was put formally in writing and they took full responsibility in case an owner of the sheep ever turned up I don't know if he actually went on to shoot them or they managed to round them up an deal with them differently.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg