How do women think?

In article ,

Reply to
Tim Streater

Oh yes. Several reasonably well attested cases.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The crime that would be prosecuted is the killing of an animal by an unlicensed person. As the animal is dead, and the killer has admitted the fact, there is de facto evidence of this crime. The inhumane or other manner of killing the animal is largely irrelevant except for deciding the sentence.

Reply to
John Williamson

I learnt it from one of the Gerald Durrell books.

A`Zoo in my Luggage?

They were reminded of the fact when a tiger at the zoo he was connected with fell very ill after a trainee keeper had used Jeyes Fluid to clean the cage out.

Reply to
John Williamson

Failure of her duty of care towards the animal. The keeper is responsible for the animal's wellbeing and it is their responsibility to ensure that they do not harm it in any way.

Ignorance is no excuse under the law. Incidentally, if she'd left it untreated she could still have been prosecuted for exactly the same offence.

Reply to
John Williamson

John Williamson posted

No, ignorance *of the law* is no excuse under the law. Ignorance of facts is often a permitted defence.

Reply to
Big Les Wade

An non captive projectile can kill equally humanely, although its somewhat less controlled. The captive (penetrating) ones used in abattoirs are intended to induce instant unconsciousness but not destroy the brain stem (Medulla) - that keeps the heart beating and hence makes bleeding the animal faster.

I would be wary of attempting a clean kill of anything much bigger than a rabbit with a non FAC airgun - 12 ft/lb is not a huge amount to play with.

Yeah, but they can spin nice headlines out of it...

Reply to
John Rumm

So you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Sounds perverse to me.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Not my field so don't know how much damage a big air pistol can do a point blank range. But I do know enough to know that such a weapon might not be suitably powerful enough.

offloaded

Several

Spinning headlines about live exports at the cost of 40+ sheep lives.

Note the legal pressure being applied by the RSPCA who had not authority and had previously agreed the port had no suiable facilties. In my view the RSPCA engineered the situation for political gain (ban live exposrt) with no regard for the animals involved.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Using a 12 bore on a cat that's sleeping in front of the fire will also generate a lot of DIY related posts: "What's the best way to repair a hole in my floor?", "How do you clean blood off shoes/trousers/walls/ ceiling/furniture ?".

Reply to
Kaspar

If you look up "presumption of innocence" you'll find that such laws breach various declarations of human rights.

Reply to
Tim Streater

There is a third alternative, which won't get you into trouble; refer the animal to a vet, or at least get a vet's advice before giving an animal, particularly a cat, any medication.

Cats have such a different metabolism from other mammals that I suspect they are actually alien invaders, taking the world over by stealth :-)

Reply to
Nightjar

Ever seen a cat that is high on catnip? Bilbo really loved it.

Reply to
ARW

I could have it done for free at a vet's if I really wanted to. It's my belief that it would be better for my cat if I did the job myself. I am not squeamish about such things.

Reply to
ARW

Take the Egyptian route. Mumify everything and interr. (It's for the after life.) Don't forget the money to pay the Styx ferrymen.

Reply to
harryagain

The cat food can go to the rescue centre - I'll get someone to drop it off so that I do not come back with a new cat

Never had a cat vomit in your workshoes?

Reply to
ARW

Drowning is the UK tradition for cats.

Reply to
harryagain

Isn't that just for CITES species?

Reply to
harryagain

On 30 Jun 2014, "Rod Speed" grunted:

Reply to
Lobster

Which is also a problem for dogs. (And, maybe, other animals.)

Reply to
polygonum