How can I repair my toilet

My toilet has given up the ghost and I'm a novice at plumbing so please excuse the lack of proper terminology. To get to the chase I ned to replace the mechanism inside the cistern. Handle and inlet valve are ok but the system is close coupled and I cannot get at the bottom of the cistern to take off the old one and put the new one on. I've disconnected the inlet and overflow pipes, and it' just a matter now of separating the cistern from the toilet pan

TIA

Reply to
Michael

Have you tried just lifting the cistern? Flush it first to make it considerably lighter. You'll probably need a new "doughnut" when you have changed the siphon and come to put the cistern back on the pan.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice