Toilet Cisterns etc ?

I am wanting to replace the low level toilet that I have with a cisten that hangs on the wall and a short flush pipe to the pan.

Is there a difference in the actual cisterns used for what I want and what I have or is it just that the low level way of fixing to the pan requires a fixing kit with 2 bolts etc.

It may be that if there is no difference, then I can just change the pan.

Thanks as always for your help.

Reply to
the_constructor

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 13:05:23 +0100, "the_constructor" mused:

That is a low level.

Dunno, not sure what it is you want.

I am a little lost as to what you actually have and what you want. I'm not overly convinced you actually have the right terminology in use here.

Close coupled;

Low level;

High level;

Reply to
Lurch

Ah, yes it rather looks like I got all the terminology wrong as you say Stuart.

My thanks for the links, very helpful.

I have a close coupled toilet at the moment and would like this taken out and a Low level toilet fetted.

Is the same cistern used for both the low level toilet and close coupled toilet (the latter being fixed with a clamp plate underneath), because if it is, I will only need to replace the toilet pan.

Hope that better explains things.

Reply to
the_constructor

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "the_constructor" saying something like:

Usually, yes. If you remove the close-coupling kit (the plate with the slotted holes) and simply put a pair of L-brackets on the wall, the cistern will sit on them happily, combined with the screws into the wall to actually secure it.

Most close-coupled toilets use an ordinary cistern (part of the manufacturers' range that matches the style of the toilet pan) that is made to be a close-coupled one by the kit.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 13:31:25 +0100, "the_constructor" mused:

Yep, bit clearer now. You need a new pan and cistern!

Reply to
Lurch

He has a toilet and he wants to get stuck in. Don't hold him back.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Lurch saying something like:

Not necessarily a new cistern, unless it simply doesn't match the new pan.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 16:11:27 +0100, Grimly Curmudgeon mused:

Suppose you could seal up the fixing holes and use a close coupled cistern, but you might also need to change the syphon. FWIW I'd just change the lot, but you may not need to depending on how bodgey you are.

Reply to
Lurch

You are unlikely to get a colour match - there are an amasing numbers of white 'shades'.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Lurch saying something like:

I'm assuming the PO is a bit skint or has a sentimental attachment to his old cistern [1]. I'm also assuming it's one without fixing holes in it, but even if it has it's easy to block them off.

[1] For example, I've been offered a Victorian cast iron cludgie cistern which I'll use to replace the one that was destroyed by the PO of my building - fekcing vandal the man was.
Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon