Toilet not flushing properly

Got a problem with my toilet, in that when you press down the handle it doesn't flush. A bit of water comes through and thats it. To get it to flush properly you have to keep pumping the handle until eventually it flushes.

Will the whole flush mechanism have to be replaced, or could it be just a seal gone or something?

Also, the cistern is one of those ones that sits directly onto the pan. Will this make taking the flush mechanism to bits difficult?

TIA

Reply to
Dark Angel

Is the water level in the cistern correct? Low water level can make flushing difficult.

Next stage will be to consider replacing the siphon diaphragm. Others more expert than I will advise or point you to a solution

Reply to
John

Hi,the diaphragm will have perished.this usually comes on slowly, and results in you having to "pump" the handle a few time sfor it to flush. If you are remarkable lucky! , the syphon wil be a 3-part one and you can unscrew without having to remove the close -coupled cistern off the wall. All the diaphragm amounts to is a piece of stiffish flexible plastic,. they cost maybe 50p, if you have a rubble sack about you can cut one out of that. Diaphragms , come in either circles or enlarge lozenge shape

Reply to
edalerichard

Replace the whole syphon unit - they're only a few quid - See

'm not sure that they come apart non-destructively anyway - and it's not worth frigging about with it.

You'll have to turn off the water and disconnect the feed and overflow from the cistern, and then remove the whole cistern from its fixing on top of the pan. This then gives access to the big plastic nut which fixes the syphon unit to the bottom of the cistern.

Make sure you replace the doughnut-shaped seal which fits between cistern and pan. If you put the old one back, it will most likely leak.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Assuming the water level is high enough as John said, and that the flush arm is connected to the siphon, its probably the siphon diaphragm.

Have a look here

a standard cistern siphon. Two common sizes, measure the old one, if in doubt buy the smaller one.

The bent wire bit should be attached to the flush handle.

In the bottom is a plastic diaphragm which is probably split. Replacing it involves removing the cistern. You can just buy the diaphragm but I always replace the entire siphon just in case its split. Same labour for either job. Diaphragm is £3 in Wickes, complete new siphon is £9 - do the math.

To remove the cistern, turn water off, flush loo, bail out any remaining water.

Disconnect overflow & water supply. Undo two screws at top inside cistern holding it to wall.

Underneath cistern you will find 2 wing nuts - undo & remove them. Remember where washers go.

Cistern should now lift off the pan. You will see a foam rubber donut - buy a new one.

Under the cistern is a large plastic nut - undo that & the cistern will come out.

When you fit the new one, smear a leak sealer

both sides of rubber washer & top of big plastic nut. Also around bolts that hold cistern to pan.

Place cistern back onto pan, make sure donut is evenly in place, tighten wing nuts evenly.

When you reconnect the water, replace the fibre washer in the connector.

All should now work like new. Most likely place for leaks is where the cistern meets the pan. If the foam donut isn't sealing use something called Plumbers Mait (bit like putty) but 9/10 times it will be OK.

Takes me about 45 mins, but I do a lot of them.

HTH

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

my sums are based on:-

11199 Diaphragm washer, oblong, syphon spare £0.11
I prefer the 3 piece syphon (on the same web page) which allows you to dismantle to replace the diaphragm without replacing the whole thing...

Geo

Reply to
Geo

That would be £0:11 + £4:95 p&p, total £5:06 assuming the customer is happy to wait 24 hours without a toilet.

I've changed two diaphragms in the last 18 months which didn't solve the problem because the plastic cistern had a small split or crack in it. Best option for the customer is to spend £9 and know 100% that the problem is solved.

This saves another 45 mins labour at £30 per hour removing the cistern again.

Simple innit?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I presume that you mean the "Siphon had a split"?

Surely this would easily be spotted on inspection.

I think that the only flaw in your reasoning is that some people are fuelled by programmes such as "Rogue Traders" and might question why a large item was replaced for want of a cheap plastic diaphragm. I also wonder how "universal" a siphon is. I can imagine a case where the ball valve might need changing as well because the arm fouls on the siphon. Is the replacement siphon as robust as the original?

did you see the programme where that electrician had bodged a RCD - terrible.

Reply to
John