House prices in your street.

No, you can't sell your house at any figure you like. You can put your house on the market for any figure you like. You can only sell it at a price someone is willing to pay, or less, irrespective of what is said in any guide or web site. As it's a free(ish) market, a house has no absolute financial "worth", only what it will fetch. In a depression, your house is "worth" less. You can look at the rebuild costs (and do, for insurance) but the above is still then true of the land on which it stands, so the above still stands.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

In this sense you are also better with sellers who are on commission, rather than salaried as they then have a vested interest in the sale price being high. Recently saw two valuations on a property, Salaried 330k Commission 375-400k

Ah but which is right? Only a sale will tell!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

|No, you can't sell your house at any figure you like. You can put your house |on the market for any figure you like. You can only sell it at a price |someone is willing to pay, or less, irrespective of what is said in any |guide or web site. As it's a free(ish) market, a house has no absolute |financial "worth", only what it will fetch. In a depression, your house is |"worth" less. You can look at the rebuild costs (and do, for insurance) but |the above is still then true of the land on which it stands, so the above |still stands.

I am in process of negotiating for a bit of land adjoining my garden, and got a valuation for the land. This came out to "adding the land to your garden will add GBP???? to the value of your house" The land itself was apparently almost valueless, because only I or possibly a few neighbours could use it.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Easy, £249,999 and a bung in brown envelope.

Reply to
Matt

In message , Matt writes

You are Peter Mandelson AICMFP

Reply to
me

You get a tiny bit more information in the results on:

tenure etc)

Reply to
John Rumm

Or by assuming the site is telling you something different from what it is?

It lists the prices properties have actually sold for, nothing more or less. You may or may not be able to use that as an indication of what your property will sell for, but you need to apply more local knowledge to the problem that just looking at a list of prices.

Reply to
John Rumm