House prices in your street.

Why? What's closed about an auction?

Reply to
Tony Hogarty

Chris Bacon typed

I entered my postcode and substituted a * for the last character.

houseprices came up with nearly 50 properties but none sice 8/4/05, so I suspect the information is a little dated.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Being held on a wet Thursday in an open field with no advertising and a minimum price that looked after the building society but not the 'owner'?

Reply to
John Cartmell

For chrissake The Land Registry records every house sale. If they didn't record it, then it never happened. There is a brown envelope issue with £250K houses though.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

It costs money to get the latest figures, so I should think they are not up-to-date. However, that's different from being "wrong". It's especially interesting to see what houses sell for if you know one that's been sold several times inside a few years!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Quote from the Yahoo site ===========================

Data gets entered into the Land Registries as soon as it's lodged with them by solicitors conveyancing a sale. They have up to 24 months to register a completed sale with the appropriate Land Registry, but typically their data arrives between 3 and 18 months after a sale.

For that reason, we display data with a 3 month "lag" as a minimum, and data up to 24 months ago is still subject to change each month - although in decreasing instances over time.

Sales more than two years ago will have been registered, and as such data beyond this point is considered final and should not change. ============================

Why solicitors should be allowed 24 months to perform a simple task remains a mystery.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

|On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 15:38:21 +0000, Dave Fawthrop wrote: | |> But it is 60% of the *value* on the open market. | |Why? What's closed about an auction?

Only a few dealers bid at auction. Keep up with the mortgage payments or you will find out.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I don't agree with this at all. I've seen houses for sale by auction in the papers, and at estate agents. The selling agent normally has a duty to obtain the best price

Reply to
Chris Bacon

When all the houses are different. Try a village high street, or an estate of individual houses.

Regards Capitol

Reply to
Capitol

How you interpret the data is up to you but there's no denying its accuracy. If solicitors had to declare the sale promptly, it would almost constitute freedom of information, the British version of that concept being to make the information public, but with safeguards to prevent it being complete or up to date.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

*What* is 60% of the value? The value is what the house actually sold for, not what the vendor wanted.

I entered at least three different postcodes where I know the properties in question and all were sold on the open market through estate agents. Heck, a number are right in my road. One of them is mine. Another was mine. The prices achieved are what the vendor received (less fees, of course).

MM

Reply to
MM

Probably because they have all the competence of Dribble using push fit plumbing, the common sense of Dixon's sales assistants and the integrity of a 15 year old condom.

Reply to
Matt

A duty that is often ignored. Corruption is rife in the estate agents, one of their favourite tricks is to sit on a property and whithold information of offers (the favourites are old properties, pensioner croaked, family want quick sale for holiday in Torremelinos) and just keep telling prospective buyers that they'll forward the offer to the seller, but don't...a month down the line, they'll sell it to a developer who is in their pocket for 60% less than previous offers , they all do it and even the ombudsman who is supposed to watch over stuff like this is not interested, ask any pensioner to ring an estate agent for a valuation and ask them to pretend they're they're a bit senile during the visit, I'll guarantee he prices it at 50 - 60% of it's true value.

Reply to
Phil L

Matt typed

I would not underestimate the integrity of the last (though I wouldn't trust it either).

I found some such in my partner's possession. These seemed to inflate fine...no leaks.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Phil L" typed

I suspect something similar must have occurred for the semi in my postcode region sold for £87K when most around were going for over double.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Maybe. Or maybe it was a tip that needed structural work. Easy to start a conspiracy theory without any facts.

Reply to
Tumbleweed

Sounds like a good theme for a TV series, as they have done with dodgy builders and plumbers. Along the lines of actress made up to look old and acting senile asks for valuation, then repeat it for a similar property with a young with-it actress.

Reply to
a2z

Looking at my road, No 12 sold for 138,000 on 24/06/02, and then for

470,000 on 28/11/03, which is quite some appreciation ;-) No work was done to it between sale one and sale two - it was in poorish condition before and after. The present owners have spend many thousands on it and are still doing things.

However, unless it's just a mistake I may have the answer. The couple who originally owned it split up, and the wife 'got' the house although no kids. This may have been some sort of divorce settlement 'fiddle'. If they owned it jointly, this could have been nearer the figure needed to buy one out?

She sold because she couldn't afford the mortgage payments despite letting rooms and working.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I suppose there's no rule that says you can't sell your house for any figure you like. I doubt you could buy a lock up garage for £138K in Balham

Reply to
Stuart Noble

In message , Phil L writes

I'll guarantee they won't since the chances are 85 other agents are also going to go and value it.

Reply to
me