House prices in your street.

Nor have I ...

Reply to
Stuart

I *know* the e-mail I used to sign up has not been used by anyone else and it'smore than 6 months since I signed up.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Wow, That really _is_ cool. Glad I started the thread now. That's one jolly usefull web-site.

Cheers Mogga

Pete

Reply to
PeTe33

Exactly. Makes me wonder why they call it uk houseprices. Maybe it's run by the BBC.

Reply to
BeeJay

Amazing site!

MM

Reply to
MM

Hopelessly wrong for my road. It listed only a house which was sold at auction at 60% of its real value. The existing neighbour who bought it got a real bargain.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Certainly is! So The Land Registry is at last releasing its data. You could always check average prices for the first part of your postcode on their website, but I imagine anything more specific was considered an invasion of privacy. Bad news for estate agents I imagine, part of whose function was supposedly to keep tabs on what things sold for. They never did a very good job of that anyway

Reply to
Stuart Noble

;?)" |>>> wrote: |>>>

> [...]

I live in an old village with a mix of housing from the 1600s (Tudor) through to the present day, from Tudor manor houses, and modern executive dwellings to ex workmen's cottages. The problem of the value of any given house will remain difficult. Averages are useless in this case.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

How?? They ARE the prices achieved! How can they be 'wrong'?

MM

Reply to
MM

So one checks achieved prices of similar properties. If I'm looking for a workman's cottage, then I will look at prices of workmen's cottages. Moreover, the prices will permit comparison between your village and one, say, twenty miles away that happens to be close to a main line station or has broadband.

MM

Reply to
MM

Not entirely useless but yes it is far more difficult to give a statistically meaningful average when the area is very mixed like this. Generally there are insufficient transactions within any one Postcode area to safely conclude averages as most Postcodes contain only 10 - 15 houses. You can probably get a useful trend but with a wide variabilty margin.

Reply to
Tony Hogarty

No idea. The prices come from the Land Registry. Perhaps Mr. Fawthrop will come up with an explanation.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

|On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:39:41 +0000, Dave Fawthrop | wrote: | |>On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:28:03 +0000, MM wrote: |>

|>Hopelessly wrong for my road.

|How?? They ARE the prices achieved! How can they be 'wrong'?

Price achieved, at auction, is not what you will get if you sell in the normal way.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Which post? Do you mean that "houseprices" have got the wrong figures for prices realised in "your street", or that they have calculated a wrong average price - or what?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

One has to wonder why it was sold at auction. It usually indicates some problem in selling the "normal" way.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

| |Dave Fawthrop wrote: |> On Thu, 09 Feb 2006 14:22:41 +0000, MM wrote: |>

|> |How?? They ARE the prices achieved! How can they be 'wrong'? |>

|> Price achieved, at auction, is not what you will get if you sell in the |> normal way. | |One has to wonder why it was sold at auction. It usually indicates some |problem in selling the "normal" way.

Owner had drastic financial problems, repossessed :-(

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

MM typed

Maybe little has changed hands in the last 5 years.

I don't think shooting the messenger is fair.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

So "houseprices" is accurate, not "wrong". It gives the figure the house sold for.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

But it is 60% of the *value* on the open market.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop