We remodelled our bathroom and kitchen over a year ago and I found out
later that the floor contained asbestos which the contractor did not
take any precautions with while tearing it out. We were in the house
with our kids when this was done. When we found out later I panicked
(my husband didn't think there was anything the matter). We got the
carpets HEPA vacuumed and wiped the appearant surfaces. Nothing else
was done and I got fine for a year. Now I've started obsessing about it
again and want to throw away everything in the house. My husband does
not want to discuss this with me and would even consider separating
from me if I keep on going like this about this situation. My problem
is I don't want to have my kids living in the house knowing that
anything could be contaminated!!!!! What do i do???? someone please
help has anyone dealt with this? I'm totally going crazy
Is this the same person that was terrified of asbestos a few months ago? It
is all in your head, asbestos is blown out of proportion. We all used to
live with asbestos all around us, car breaks spewed asbestos dust into the
atmosphere everytime they stopped. We played with asbestos as kids. And we
are all still alive. Asbestos in flooring is relatively contained, sealed in
the vinyl, after a year your house, if you regularly clean it, will be as
clean of asbestos as any other in the neighborhood. Cigarette smoke is more
dangerous. A bigger danger is mould. Worry about it. But realize that most
moulds, while they may be gross, are not dangerous, only certain ones are.
So forget all about asbestos, it is over and done.
Yup its the same crazy person. My paranoia seems to be growing out of
proportion every minute. Since we had our kitchen done too and part of
the outside stucco was demolished (kitchen was expanded). Appearantly
that stucco contained less than 1% asbestos, but that dust was all over
our backyard and I still see cement dust stuck in our rain gutter, now
I'm paranoid that I have to get that cleaned up too. Everytime my
gardener comes over he uses his blower to blow leaves I see that dust
blowing all over and become more paranoid. I've read about obsessive
compulsive disorder and obsession with asbestos, I think that's what's
happening with me.
btw ext, thanks for your reassurance :)
Want an honest answer? Yes, you are crazy and getting even crazier.
You are obsessing over nothing. There is asbestos in the air we breath in
many locations. It is a natural occurring substance in the earth and we
cannot eliminate it. Millions of people are happily living in homes
containing asbestos and no harm is coming of it, nor will it ever. Contac
does no harm.
It only becomes a problem under certain limited circumstances that usually
occur in factories and mines that process it. Not in homes, schools, and
offices where it is safely covered and encapsulated.
You have to be willing to accept the rational argument. You may need
professional help to do that.
It sounds like your obsession might be having or about to have an
impact on your life and marriage. You really need to see a counselor of
some kind. Unfortunately, a random doctor or counselor or psychologist
might know very little about asbestos. The concern here is that they
might not understand how little danger there really is in your
situation, or conversely, be unable to convince you of the fact that
there is little danger in your situation. And worse, it may be hard to
get honest and accurate information by googling for "asbestos", or by
looking up "asbestos" in the phone book, since there are entire
industries devoted to profiting from asbestos-related lawsuits (some of
which are legit, but many of which it has become apparent were bogus to
the point of fraud) , scare tactics, asbestos cleanup, etc. You need
some independent advice...
So here is one suggestion for you. Go to your regular doctor, or a
family doctor that you know and trust. Explain your asbestos concern.
If they are honest, decent, and knowledgable, they will listen to you,
then tell you you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I imagine
this will cost you about $200 or so.
Then find 5 people you know and trust. Preferrably intelligent, honest
people. Some higher education (college or beyond) would be best as well
(for deciphering and understanding the complex/contradictory
information available). Maybe a parent or sibling, a school friend, a
co-worker, etc. Explain your situation to them, tell them it is ruining
your life and marriage, and ask them very sincerely to please help you.
They can do this by looking up information about asbestos on the web,
asking questions here, etc., then reporting back to you. If they are
competent and honest, they will all tell you that you have absolutely
nothing to worry about. This should cost you nothing but some sincere
And if (when) that does not calm your obsession, you can then go to a
phsychiatrist, explain that 5 smart, independent people, plus your
doctor, plus a dozen random people on the internet, all tell you that
you have nothing to worry about, but that you are still obsessed and it
is ruining your marriage. They might be able to help you get over your
On 18 Jul 2006 16:28:37 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "uz"
I strongly urge you to read these books:
Michael Crichton's "State of Fear" and his Parade Magazine article.
Bailey's "Earth Report 2000"
And anything else which puts these mindless fears to rest. Asbestos
isn't concentrated nerve gas, it's just dust. Chill out!
========================================================= Save the ||| http://diversify.com
Endangered SKEETS! ||| Web Application Programming
do you or your hubby smoke, or allow your kids around smokers?
if so the small asbestos risk is NOTHING in comparision with the second
hand smoke risk....
life is full of risks, does your family have a car?
UZ, you are obsessing, and that is not a healthy thing for you or for
your family. I have seen what you are doing in my own wife who freaks
seeing lead-based paint in every painted surface in the house.
Fortunately, I got lead paint test kits at my local hardware store and
gave her proof that she's obsessing over nothing.
First, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" to quote Alexander
Pope. Your fear is based on a lack of sufficient knowledge to
understand the risks of asbestos and what you need not worry about. You
need to do some research, and not here on the Intarwebs where every
crackpot, conspiracy theorist and charter member of the Tin Foil Hat
Society will tell you all kinds of idiocy. Go to your local lcollege or
medical school library and read up in the peer-reviewed journals about
the reseach into asbestos to understand risk levels and the like.
What you'll find is asbestos in the home is usually only a hazard in
concentration, and only in the friable (i.e., thin, wispy, fiberous)
form such as used in pipe insuation and ceiling tiles where it can get
airborne and be breathed into the lungs. The stuff used in floor tile
does not get airborne where it can be breathed in sufficient quantity
to cause health risks, unless someone was using a sander on the floor
to create a cloud of tile dust.
Third, you've had the house scrubbed from top to bottom, including
using a HEPA filter system. You got everything that's possible to get.
Unless you have a pile of asbestos fibers the size of a large cat
hiding under someone's bed, you're more than likely in a safe
But if you want to do something to abate your freak-out, it's
relatively easy to have your home tested by a reputable laboratory for
the presence of asbestos - call your local government's office of
health or safety or environment to find reputable laboratories in your
area. Do not call an asbestos abatement company as you are spinning the
wheel and taking a chance; you may get a reputable company, you may get
some fly-by-night guy who's just out to make money by finding asbestos
bugaboos in every corner.
You may have to spend some serious bucks to have a lab or engineering
company come out and draw samples (since you don't have a chunk of
anything in particular). The results take only a few days usually, and
maybe, just maybe, you'll be able to put your mind at ease and give
your husband and kids a break.
It seems to me anyone that is this worried and not a troll would have
had the home tested for asbestos long ago. Then you'd know if there is
anything to worry about. How do you even know for sure there was
asbestos in any of the material to begin with?
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.