Going crazy over asbestos

We remodelled our bathroom and kitchen over a year ago and I found out later that the floor contained asbestos which the contractor did not take any precautions with while tearing it out. We were in the house with our kids when this was done. When we found out later I panicked (my husband didn't think there was anything the matter). We got the carpets HEPA vacuumed and wiped the appearant surfaces. Nothing else was done and I got fine for a year. Now I've started obsessing about it again and want to throw away everything in the house. My husband does not want to discuss this with me and would even consider separating from me if I keep on going like this about this situation. My problem is I don't want to have my kids living in the house knowing that anything could be contaminated!!!!! What do i do???? someone please help has anyone dealt with this? I'm totally going crazy

Reply to
uz

Is this the same person that was terrified of asbestos a few months ago? It is all in your head, asbestos is blown out of proportion. We all used to live with asbestos all around us, car breaks spewed asbestos dust into the atmosphere everytime they stopped. We played with asbestos as kids. And we are all still alive. Asbestos in flooring is relatively contained, sealed in the vinyl, after a year your house, if you regularly clean it, will be as clean of asbestos as any other in the neighborhood. Cigarette smoke is more dangerous. A bigger danger is mould. Worry about it. But realize that most moulds, while they may be gross, are not dangerous, only certain ones are. So forget all about asbestos, it is over and done.

Reply to
EXT

So get your place tested and quit yer moanin-trollin

Reply to
m Ransley

Reply to
bob kater

I agree with EXT, you really need to focus on more tangible dangers like EMF's

Reply to
RBM

You had some very good advice posted to you in this newsgroup. Please go back and read it again.

Otherwise you need to quit spamming this group. See a doctor.

Reply to
JimL

Want an honest answer? Yes, you are crazy and getting even crazier.

You are obsessing over nothing. There is asbestos in the air we breath in many locations. It is a natural occurring substance in the earth and we cannot eliminate it. Millions of people are happily living in homes containing asbestos and no harm is coming of it, nor will it ever. Contac does no harm.

It only becomes a problem under certain limited circumstances that usually occur in factories and mines that process it. Not in homes, schools, and offices where it is safely covered and encapsulated.

You have to be willing to accept the rational argument. You may need professional help to do that.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It sounds like your obsession might be having or about to have an impact on your life and marriage. You really need to see a counselor of some kind. Unfortunately, a random doctor or counselor or psychologist might know very little about asbestos. The concern here is that they might not understand how little danger there really is in your situation, or conversely, be unable to convince you of the fact that there is little danger in your situation. And worse, it may be hard to get honest and accurate information by googling for "asbestos", or by looking up "asbestos" in the phone book, since there are entire industries devoted to profiting from asbestos-related lawsuits (some of which are legit, but many of which it has become apparent were bogus to the point of fraud) , scare tactics, asbestos cleanup, etc. You need some independent advice...

So here is one suggestion for you. Go to your regular doctor, or a family doctor that you know and trust. Explain your asbestos concern. If they are honest, decent, and knowledgable, they will listen to you, then tell you you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I imagine this will cost you about $200 or so.

Then find 5 people you know and trust. Preferrably intelligent, honest people. Some higher education (college or beyond) would be best as well (for deciphering and understanding the complex/contradictory information available). Maybe a parent or sibling, a school friend, a co-worker, etc. Explain your situation to them, tell them it is ruining your life and marriage, and ask them very sincerely to please help you. They can do this by looking up information about asbestos on the web, asking questions here, etc., then reporting back to you. If they are competent and honest, they will all tell you that you have absolutely nothing to worry about. This should cost you nothing but some sincere "thank you"s.

And if (when) that does not calm your obsession, you can then go to a phsychiatrist, explain that 5 smart, independent people, plus your doctor, plus a dozen random people on the internet, all tell you that you have nothing to worry about, but that you are still obsessed and it is ruining your marriage. They might be able to help you get over your obsession.

Reply to
kevin

On 18 Jul 2006 16:28:37 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, "uz" quickly quoth:

I strongly urge you to read these books: Michael Crichton's "State of Fear" and his Parade Magazine article.

Bailey's "Earth Report 2000"

And anything else which puts these mindless fears to rest. Asbestos isn't concentrated nerve gas, it's just dust. Chill out!

========================================================== Save the |||

Endangered SKEETS! ||| Web Application Programming ==========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I hope to heck he dumps you and takes he kids. You are certifiable.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

Fruitcake.

Reply to
Jim McLaughlin

do you or your hubby smoke, or allow your kids around smokers? grandparents etc?

if so the small asbestos risk is NOTHING in comparision with the second hand smoke risk....

life is full of risks, does your family have a car?

Reply to
hallerb

Seek professional help for your neurosis.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

[snip]

UZ, you are obsessing, and that is not a healthy thing for you or for your family. I have seen what you are doing in my own wife who freaks seeing lead-based paint in every painted surface in the house. Fortunately, I got lead paint test kits at my local hardware store and gave her proof that she's obsessing over nothing.

First, "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" to quote Alexander Pope. Your fear is based on a lack of sufficient knowledge to understand the risks of asbestos and what you need not worry about. You need to do some research, and not here on the Intarwebs where every crackpot, conspiracy theorist and charter member of the Tin Foil Hat Society will tell you all kinds of idiocy. Go to your local lcollege or medical school library and read up in the peer-reviewed journals about the reseach into asbestos to understand risk levels and the like.

What you'll find is asbestos in the home is usually only a hazard in concentration, and only in the friable (i.e., thin, wispy, fiberous) form such as used in pipe insuation and ceiling tiles where it can get airborne and be breathed into the lungs. The stuff used in floor tile does not get airborne where it can be breathed in sufficient quantity to cause health risks, unless someone was using a sander on the floor to create a cloud of tile dust.

Third, you've had the house scrubbed from top to bottom, including using a HEPA filter system. You got everything that's possible to get. Unless you have a pile of asbestos fibers the size of a large cat hiding under someone's bed, you're more than likely in a safe environment.

But if you want to do something to abate your freak-out, it's relatively easy to have your home tested by a reputable laboratory for the presence of asbestos - call your local government's office of health or safety or environment to find reputable laboratories in your area. Do not call an asbestos abatement company as you are spinning the wheel and taking a chance; you may get a reputable company, you may get some fly-by-night guy who's just out to make money by finding asbestos bugaboos in every corner.

You may have to spend some serious bucks to have a lab or engineering company come out and draw samples (since you don't have a chunk of anything in particular). The results take only a few days usually, and maybe, just maybe, you'll be able to put your mind at ease and give your husband and kids a break.

Reply to
Kyle

It seems to me anyone that is this worried and not a troll would have had the home tested for asbestos long ago. Then you'd know if there is anything to worry about. How do you even know for sure there was asbestos in any of the material to begin with? .

Reply to
trader4

My brother's a physician. Twenty years ago I inhaled a piece of insulation from a wire. I asked him what to do. He said, Don't worry about it.

Reply to
mm

That's a waste of time, money, and gasoline, and it makes a lot of noise. Tell him to stop.

I would tell him to stop whether there was asbestos or not. Do you work for him or does he work for you?

It's almost certainly dust made of dirt, but I wouldn't want that blowing around either.

I think so too.

Reply to
mm