Exterior door cutout need priming

Does the cut sheet metal for the lockset need corrosion protection? I assume the galvanized coating is on the front surface only.

Reply to
Martik

"Martik" wrote in news:Gdfvg.138454$S61.121352@edtnps90:

Well it is steel. That will rust if it gets wet/damp. Water shouldn't get in there but if it does you risk rust dripping out. Trash the door paint. Sorta makes sense for a warm-fuzzy to put something on it doesn't it? Not like it's some major thing to put on.

Reply to
Al Bundy

It can't hurt, especially if the door in question is subject to rain splash that may run down behind the trim ring. If the door is still in primer, hit it with a spray can, otherwise just paint the door with the knob assembly removed. Where did you find a non-predrilled steel door? I haven't seen one of those in years and years. These days, they all have premade reinforced spots for the striker and hinges. Or are you adding a deadbolt to a one-hole door or something?

No, rusty knob holes aren't common, but I have seen streaks dripping down from the knob area. And I have seen plenty of rusty knob guts- some sort of rust-preventing spray on the innards before you button it up is a nice touch for the next guy.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

It was predrilled but you can see the raw steel edge in the lockset cutout. I also have a non-predrilled steel door that I'm trying to figure out how to cut the 2" and 1.5" holes w/o a special $30 holesaw. So far, in practice, it looks like a 24 tooth metal jigsaw blade with a 1/2" starter hole will work.

Reply to
Martik