Help with phone type connectors?

My lad needs an extension lead for an aircon controller and I am struggling to identify the plug / socket name.

It's not an ordinary "ethernet" (RJ45?) or what I think of as the DSL lead (RJ11?) although it looks very much like that. But the plug is only

7.5 mm wide, rather than 9.5 for the DSL. (That's the dimension spanning the conductors).

However it appears to be the same as the type of lead which goes directly into some phone handsets.

Mr. Google is not being very friendly to me today, it's not *obviously* an RJ series.

TIA

Steve

Reply to
newshound

RJ10?

The Natural Philosopher

Ah yes, looks plausible.

Why can't I find any dimensions for RJ9, RJ10, and RJ22 though? Also, that link says they are 4 position 4 conductor. While that is what my "phone" one is, the socket on the controller is definitely 6 position 4 conductor.

Obviously, I could give them a call. They do the plugs and female to female connectors.

Reply to
newshound

In which case it isn't 7.5mm wide.

The RJ stuff doesn't fit 6 connectors into a 7mm wide plug/socket

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Actually it is 7.5 mm and the RJ9 socket seems to be 7.7

Modular connector dimensions (millimeters)[3] Connector Length Width Height

4P4C (RJ9) 7.7 6P4C (RJ11) 12.34 9.65 6.60 8P8C (RJ45) 21.46 11.68 8.30

(your link, but I did not spot it at first)

And the socket definitely has two blank spaces either side of the four connectors.

Anyway, looks like RJ9 it is, then. Just need to get the lad to confirm what length he needs. Thanks for the help!

Reply to
newshound