Have the smelling salts standing by...

Just because this happens in London and other desirable hotspots doesn't mean it is an automatic process.

There are streets in Blackburn where nobody wants to live. Full stop.

On the other hand John 'connecting with the public' Prescott had the bright idea of simply demolishing entire streets of such properties because Nulab were so obsessed with CO2.

Reply to
Andrew

Why ?. If they were safe and functional, you could have just left well alone.

Reply to
Andrew

In London, ferrying guns and drugs for the gangmasters because they are too young to be prosecuted.

Reply to
Andrew

Meanwhile TM made a visit to the that part of London and was booed and heckled. A 'local' used his phone to record it and uploaded it, but then complained to to the TV cameras that 'no-one from the gov. comes to talk to us'.

Perhaps he should have made the effort to tell the hecklers to STFU and make an effort to 'engage' themselves.

Reply to
Andrew

We all are. You *definately* are. How much is your house worth now ?.

The number of people in employment is at an all time high. The top 1% of taxpayers pay so much tax (29% of all income tax) that it pays the entire 'free' education budget that those mob-rioting residents of K&C enjoy.

The deficit, which was £160 Billion in 2010 (i.e. we were

*borrowing* the entire cost of the NHS and 'free' education) is now down to about £55 Billion.

And this has been done without any so-called 'austerity', certainly not the type we had in the 1920's, 30's and between

1939 and 1950.
Reply to
Andrew

They get their relatives to come up with the money, or a friendly 'agency' in London.

Reply to
Andrew

Not if Corbyn gets into no 10 you won't. Land value tax will see to that, and no doubt a much more radical empty property policy will relieve you of it.

Reply to
Andrew

Is that a ginger beard I see ?.

You'd think the Scots would have worked out the effect of sun by now.

Reply to
Andrew

You're paying for it though. £20 Billion per year housing benefit.

Reply to
Andrew

But if the govt now owns them, then the Council does not. Does the RTB extend to such properties?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Wasn't there something about such a place a few years ago, using old shipping containers?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

t very antisocially & destructively. If only the councils had the nads to e vict them and transplant people like that into their own little ghetto the world would be a far better place.

for some reason, would have figured that out & done it decades ago. Counci l estates would then be reasonable places.

like kitchen cabinets, nonessential woodwork etc. Internal walls would all be concrete. Toilets would be prison style. Tenants could buy their own bed s & furniture. You might even have concrete beds on the ground floor. Outdo ors they'd get just a very small yard. The housing could all be terraced wi th thick heavy walls.

How would that meet BR?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes. No-one from the government comes to see us either, despite us living in the "leafy suburbs," but we don't complain about it.

It is the councillors or council staff that should have been listening to them anyway.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

There certainly are quite a few scum in council housing and unfortunately they make life hell for and tarnish the reputation of the decent people there.

I have worked with professional Engineers and others that come from a background of (and in some cases were still living in) council estates. I have also met alcoholic, drug-using, anti-social criminal residents.

One colleague used to come to the office wearing jeans, donkey jacket and flat cap and then change into a suit in the office, so that the scum wouldn't know what sort of a job he had and target him! Another used to phone the police once a week to report the fresh abandoned, stolen (often burnt out) cars at the end of his street. The local pub bore a strong resemblence to "The Jockey" from Shameless.

We had a lot of trouble and violence in our local pubs, when the residents of a council estate three miles away started coming to them - they'd burnt down all three of the pubs in their area. The trouble reduced somewhat when they could no-longer get a bus each way because the bus company withdrew the bus service in the evenings after multiple attacks on their vehicles and drivers. Again the innocent, decent people there suffered as they could no longer have an evening out without the costs of taxis and many without cars couldn't get to or from their employment.

Friends of mined lived in a Salford tower block. Another resident moving in had to leave his stuff in their flat overnight as the first stuff he'd moved in was stolen before he'd got back with the second batch and he didn't want to leave it unguarded while he was very obviously leaving for some hours to collect more. The neighbouring block was remotely monitored by the security guards at the bottom of their block ... the cameras were stolen! I was always worried about parking there - many cars were broken into or carrier bags full of water were dropped on them from 20 floors up, caving in the roofs or bonnets.

I feel sorry for the decent people trapped in these hellholes. Some of the troubmakers can never be improved, despite hundreds of thousands being spent on some problem families and no decent person deserves to have to put up with them as neighbours.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Separating the 2 lots wouldn't solve everything but would really help.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Can't be a housing shortage there, then.

You want streets that no one will live in left standing? Why?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Far too much.

Yup. Nothing like low wages and zero hours contracts to push up the employment figures. Now look at productivity. Just about the worst in Europe.

Didn't think even the most rabid right winger on here wanted to abolish free education. Good to know there is one nutcase.

Which deficit would that be?

You had austerity in the 1920s, did you? Congratulations on your telegram from the Queen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I do realise that. It is the family that needs decent taxpayer subsidised housing and has been waiting for many years who is going to be the most aggrieved in the long run. You know, the type of people that Corbyn and the lefties are always championing.

Reply to
Richard

Steve Walker laid this down on his screen :

Amazing Spaces or a similar program on TV?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I would show you one at the Barras but steetview is out of date ........

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...