Hard water - not filtered by water board?

My dishwasher annoyingly has a bright red warning light when the salt softener has run out. I painted over it.
--
If a cow laughs, does milk come out of its nose?

On 12/10/2017 18:22, charles wrote:

Again people seem to be writing about the construction of kettles 10 or 15 years ago. Most modern kettles have a different form of element and are constructed differently. If you read some of the Amazon reviews on mid priced kettles a common complaint is that they start leaking.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

Contrarywise. I found the old style ones leaked more, usually where the electricity went in at the bottom. There was a rubber seal around the element where it was bolted to the framework. The new flat element cordless kettles don't seem to suffer form this problem.
--
How does a man know when his wife is losing interest?
When her favorite sexual position is next door.

None of mine ever have and mine is soft water.

No leaks to seal with mine.

Because you want one a different colour? I hope you give the old one to charity.
--
I was at an ATM yesterday when a little old lady asked if I could check her balance, so I pushed her over.

I had the idea you threw things away a lot.
--
Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do.. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! ..But He loves you. -- George Carlin

Probably some stupid EU safety directive.
I give things away using freecycle or gumtree. There's always someone starting out or divorced etc that can make use of something.
--
Interesting fact number 476:
80% of millionaires drive used cars.

Does your wife not volunteer in a charity shop?
--
Religion has actually convinced people that there's an invisible man -- living in the sky -- who watches everything you do, every minute of every day. And the invisible man has a special list of ten things he does not want you to do.. And if you do any of these ten things, he has a special place, full of fire and smoke and burning and torture and anguish, where he will send you to live and suffer and burn and choke and scream and cry forever and ever 'til the end of time! ..But He loves you. -- George Carlin

But what does she volunteer to do in that charity shop ?
On her back for people like Adam presumably.

No, but they fur up. Then bits of the fur break off and get into your tea/coffee.
--
HAL 9000: Dave. Put down those Windows disks. Dave. DAVE!

Yes they do. Our such filter fell to pieces as it got furred up.
--
"If you're not able to ask questions and deal with the answers without feeling
that someone has called your intelligence or competence into question, don't

No available: model too old. Kettle itself works fine, although I could wish it turned itself off slightly sooner. But it'll soon be moot as we are getting a boiling water tap.
--
"Hard" and "Soft" Brexit are code words for Leaving or Staying in the EU,
rather than for the terms of our departure.

I don't have to, because in Scotland we have real water.
--
H lp! S m b d st l ll th v w ls fr m m k yb rd!

no they don't break, they just get the element or the sides coated with limescale.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

So what?
--
Why do the Scots wear kilts?
Sheep can hear a zipper at 500 yds....

I would thought this is for two reasons: cost and the fact that a small amount of the salts which cause limescale is actually thought to be beneficial to the human body.
And it's not filtration, which the removal of solid particles from a liquid by a fine mesh (metal, paper, ceramic). In the case of hard water, the salts are dissolved in the water and gradually deposit themselves onto the pipes in your house. You'd need a chemical reaction in the treatment plant to convert the salts to something insoluble that would precipitate out - *that* precipitate could be separated by filtration.

So what do "filters" for preventing limescale buildup do in your house? Make sure it stays dissolved?
--
Blind faith is an ironic gift to return to the creator of human intelligence.

It is also expensive and only really matters for some things like making tea - too much calcium and you get a layer of brown scum on top. The right hardness matters for coffee too but only affects the taste.

Some of them do nothing at all. The magnetic snake oil variety.
The real water softening filters swap calcium ions for sodium and have to be replaced or recharged from time to time. It is a waste softening water unless it is for drinking or some other critical usage that requires soft water. Hard water doesn't corrode pipes and may even seal minor pinhole leaks - which is a benefit for the water company.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

But if you get continuous deposition in the pipes, after some amount of time no water flows.
--
"What causes poverty?" Wrong question. Poverty is our primordial state. The
real question is, "What causes wealth?"
On 12/10/2017 14:15, Tim Streater wrote:

Except in insanely hard water regions it requires evaporation and exactly the right pH for calcium carbonate to plate out at any speed. These conditions are not normally met in a pipe unless there is a leak.
Heating it in a kettle or boiler is the most common source od problems with hard water since that does make it come out of solution quickly.
I recall some drain pipes in a former dye chemical plant that were hugely entertaining when removed after the plant was closed. I believe some clocks and other ornaments were made from polished sections of it. Heaven knows what noxious ancient aniline dyes were in there.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown