Hard water - not filtered by water board?

I've heard it said that some have magnets that "line up the water molecules" so they don't deposit on the pipes and on kettle elements. Or some such pseudo-scientific guff.

Reply to
NY

Flushing toilets with hard water does leave limescale on the surfaces.

Reply to
charles

my father used the same kettle in Edinburgh for 20 years - inside it looked like new.

Reply to
charles

I would imagine "the" Newcastle (on Tyne) rather than the lesser-known Newcastle-under-Lyme. Though I wonder where N-o-T gets it water from and whether their water *is* (moderately) hard.

It's surprising how often I find that well-known towns and cities have much smaller counterparts (typically a small village or hamlet) elsewhere in the UK. Obviously there will be places in the USA which have names that reflect the place where immigrant came from in their original country.

Somewhere that I've lived had a district called California - I used to see it on the bus destination blinds. Not sure where it was, because it's not the one listed in

which is on the east coast.

Reply to
NY

They might be able to line up the calcium and the carbonate ions, whether that's possible when ions are in solution I don't know. And even if you can, what strength magnet you'd need I don't know either.

Reply to
Tim Streater

There's another in England, one each in Scotland and N.Ireland and several in Eire.

I used to go through Bermuda occasionally.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I know of two of those and one in Wales and one in NI.

Reply to
charles

Not bad for brown ale making either!

Reply to
mechanic

Mostly from Keilder - rain water.

You mean like Dallas in Moray and Houston in Renfrewshire

Reply to
charles

That's not a magic cure for split URLs, it depends on the news client (I think this one handles it properly without angle brackets

although this
works just as well and is only 79 characters).

Neutralises calcium ions somehow so they don't form calcium carbonate?

Reply to
Rob Morley

That would depend on the degree of hardness and how often you clean the bowl.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 18:18:17 +0100, "NY" coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

IEC C5, I like them and think they sould be more widespread.

Reply to
Graham.

Bod has not got out of the southern bubble for 40 years. Life begins and ends in the shithole of the south.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

If you neutralise them, then:

1) a current must flow, where does that come from? 2) the now neutral calcium atoms would immediately react with the water to produce calcium hydroxide and hydrogen. So you're back where you started: with calcium ions in solution.
Reply to
Tim Streater

And what can happen if you don't...

alan_m

On Thu, 12 Oct 2017 18:22:40 +0100, charles coalesced the vapors of human experience into a viable and meaningful comprehension...

I don't think there is any hard tap-water anywhere in Scotland. I bet the supermarkets sell the same range of softening products as they do in London, that's certainly the case here in Manchester.

Reply to
Graham.

Dunno, but it's called an electrolytic device ...

Indeed - it's beyond my O-level chemistry to explain, but people seem to think it works and they're probably not all snake-oil enthusiasts.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Again people seem to be writing about the construction of kettles 10 or

15 years ago. Most modern kettles have a different form of element and are constructed differently. If you read some of the Amazon reviews on mid priced kettles a common complaint is that they start leaking.
Reply to
alan_m

All the best people come from Manchester. Droysden .........

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

So bad they stopped brewing it there!

Reply to