Hammer drill choice-SDS 250v-battery

Hi all I am needing to fix framing to blockwork and brickwork and have access to

250 volts.I am going to be fixing 50 metres at least .My ancient but powerfull hammer drill 650 watts is definately poor using a 10mm masonary drill.Would a better quality drill-diamond treated be better-eg-I am amazed at the difference between a diamond cutter on my Stihl saw and a conventional composite blade. Or do I need a more modern drill. Would battery power last?. Is there a real benefit with SDS? Is power the most important consideration? I am fairly weak when it comes to holding power tools is there a weight power trade off?
Reply to
tom patton

If you have access to mains, get a mains SDS drill.

It is a huge difference. The difference between ordinary hammer and SDS is significantly greater than the difference between non-hammer and ordinary hammer. Get an SDS drill.

No, the amount of energy per impact is most important.

Get one of these, you will love it.

Reply to
Grunff

Yes that looks the business thanks

Reply to
tom patton

Have to agree. That's the same model of SDS that I have and it instantly became the best power tool I ever brought. I still wonder how I managed to work without it.

The difference between using a standard Hammer drill and a decent SDS drill is like the difference in trying to spread butter from the freezer and butter that's been left in the sun all day.

Seri

Reply to
Seri

Second that with a vengeance,or with the fervour of a religious zealot!.

Excellent tool, just wish I'd bought one years ago. Never been such a pleasure 'drillin holes everywhere and in everything, not to mention the mini kango hammer function which it's also very good at:))

Reply to
tony sayer

Even a cheaper sds would make a huge difference - have a look in Wickes,

Dave

Reply to
David Lang

access to

yep, sds

no chance

big big

no

Check the weights of sds, many are very heavy. Pick a 2.2kg one.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Reply to
tom patton

SDS like what they said....

John Rumm

Makita HD2450:

It's all of what Tony said, and more. I bought mine only a few months before the prices of the cheaper ones really started to drop, but have never regretted the price difference for an instant.

Reply to
Ian White

be sure to get one that does all 3 sds functions: drill, sds hammer drill, chisel. Many dont.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

My (expensive) AEG also has a second speed, meaning it's fast enough to drill small diameter holes in steel too (and a swappable chuck). It's a pretty useless feature in the workshop, but on-site it can be the difference between having to take two drills to the job, or just this one.

Reply to
Andy Dingley