Cordless Hammer Drill - which one out of these two?

I have just seen the cordless hammer drill at ALDI:

am also looking at one in Argos:
one is the better buy?

Thanx.

AMO

Reply to
AMO

Neither really. What are you expecting it to do? i.e. how much use and what sort of work?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Why neither?

I am looking to do some casual putting up of shelves etc.

Should I be looking for corded drills?

What do you recommend?

Thanx

AMO

Reply to
AMO

Cordless drills within that price bracket are really not worth having. This honestly isn't snobbery - I've used and owned enough cheap, middling amd expensive drills to know this.

The main problems are: a) very poor batteries, which deteriorate quickly b) very poor chargers which aid the batteries in their quest to become useless c) poor motors, delivering far less torque than mid-range tools d) speed controllers that are effectively 3 position switches (off/slow/slightly faster)

The chucks are usually pretty poor too, but TBH that's the least of your worries.

Think about what you want to use it for. If it's just light drilling/driving (no masonry) then consider:

or

If you really need hammer, then maybe

or

If it's going to be used a lot, and you need hammer, then you won't get anything worthwhile for under £150.

Reply to
Grunff

Yes, probably. A mains drill for drilling the holes and a cordless drill/driver for screwing the screws will be a much better option.

Reply to
Grunff

You're not going to get good mechanics and batteries for this price. Unfortunately the manufacturers have figured out that by putting ever higher battery voltage ratings on tools for about the same price point that people will think they are getting something more. These days it seems to be a pound a volt in this part of the market. Batteries are the most expensive part, so you can work out that if you double the battery voltage for the same price, something is compromised.

I would go for a corded one for masonry work

One of the unbranded ones in the price range that you were talking about, or for around £40 you could get a good quality Bosch

you want a cordless tool as well for light to medium drilling and screwing perhaps

?ts=52401&id=28100>>What do you recommend?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Neither. Hammer drills are a bit pointless, and cheap cordless ones even more so.

Go for a mains SDS drill for drilling masonry.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not sure I agree there... not always the case: I often find that old brickwork can be so deteriorated that if I use my SDS on it, the bricks can just tend to explode in a cloud of fragments and dust. However, a rotary-only drill is still hard work, and by far the best method in these cases is my 20-yr-old B&D hammer drill (which I still keep on hand alongside the SDS and a cordless drill/driver just for this purpose). For decent modern-ish brick or concrete etc, the SDS machine wins hands down.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Thanx Andy (and the others) for the advice.

I ended up going for the cordless drill. I really don't need it for much - I doubt I'll use it more than once a year.

A friend put in a shower holder for me using a 9 Volt (I think) cordless drill, and that seemed to do the job.

I figured a 24 Volt one would be a tad more powerful and as I've got it at half price and will only use it for trivial things, then I should be okay.

Mainly I don't have the cash to spend on anything too expensive and that for stuff that requires more power I can borrow a tool off a mate.

Thanx also for the pointer on where to go for a drill. I think I probably should have gone for a corded drill though as I can't see myself needing a cordless one, but hey, I've gone and bought it now! ;0)

Thanx again.

AMO

Reply to
AMO

That makes it worse. The battery will be flat each time you want it. And having to make sure it's charged before use makes it far more hassle than running out an extension lead for a mains one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I must admit to not having come across bricks that shatter with an SDS, but can't be drilled with a non hammer. Perhaps that clinker block stuff fills the bill, though.

I reckon for delicate stuff to clean and grease the SDS bit first so you don't have to press quite so hard. Also, run it at a slow speed.

I do still use my old B&D hammer drill, though, as it's a brilliant screwdriver so often at hand.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Having just this minute come in having given up trying to attach a couple of brackets to the wall using two different cordless drills (One B&D, and one Chinese cheapo), I can only echo the other guys on here.

There just wasn't enough torque. Never tried drilling masonry with a cordless before, but as my corded is several hundred miles away, I thought I'd give it a go. I'll never bother doing so again. However, I can't say that I've tried doing it with high end tools, maybe they are a lot better.

Reply to
coherers

AMO, a good reasoned choice.

< snip babble >
Reply to
IMM

Point taken. Having said that, I know when I am going to use the drill and charge it up prior. The reason I went for cordless is because I could not foresee me using the drill often, but when I did, I needed the flexibility of not being near the mains.

I guess it depends on the individual. For example, I am buying a hedge trimmer soon. Many people have told me to go cordless as you can get to the bottom of the garden without an extension cord, but my argument this time is that I need POWER, and so I'm going for a mains one.

I guess the other reason is that in time I will need to get a heavy duty drill and that will most definately mains powered. When that happens, this cordless one will compliment it better for those flexible but not power hungry jobs. At the moment, I am not willing to spend more than £25 on a drill as we are running up to Xmas.

Thanx.

AMO

Reply to
AMO

I recently had to drill some holes in concrete block (no aerated, proper concrete) for mounting a few sockets. I'd norrmally use the SDS for this, but out of laziness, i used my 18V Makita combi. It took a lot longer than the SDS would have, but was certainly no slower than my mains Bosch drill.

Reply to
Grunff

Heh, with our internal walls (2" thick black blocks, 1930s), if you use the SDS it *blows* holes clean through the wall, regardless of how careful you are.

Reply to
Grunff

Suddenly, you've found reason. A first, then.

I'll put it back for you to answer.

*****

Perhaps you'll give us the benefit of your superior knowledge about which cordless drill will work after being left uncharged for a year?

I'll take that as a no, then, without an answer.

Stick to the things you know best. When you find them. If ever.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)