Halogen floodlights not worth using? LED instead?

In "stock" I have a couple (or more) halogen floodlights. About 100W I think.

However they are very power hungry compared to modern LED floodlights and the new lights are generally under £20 unless you want a PIR.

I don't like chucking stuff away, especially unused, but the head suggests that it would be more sensible to buy LED.

However if the lights are only used for a few hours every day or so and then only for 4-6 months of the year I am wondering how long it would take to save the cost of the new lights.

If 100W halogen is similar to 10W LED in light output (unreliable sources) then

should be more than enough.

might be enough as well.

I don't want too much light as I am lighting an area in front of the mega- shed facing towards the house. Distance of about 13 metres from shed to house.

As usual I expect the cabling to cost far more than the lights.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

100w 3hrs a day is 0.3 units, around 4.5p a day, £16.42 a year each, or £164.20 a decade per lamp. So yes, get LEDs.

NT

Reply to
Nick Cat

The real problem with PIR-activated halogens is that very often if there is a power cut, the light comes on and stays on 24/7 - or until you notice and turn the power off and back on in a controlled manner. I *think* it is very brief 1-second power cuts which trigger the light to stay on, and longer manual interruptions (by switch at consumer unit) which allow the controller to time out after 1 minute (or whatever delay has been configured). Sadly our outside light seems to be permanently connected to the relevant lighting circuit with no switch (that I can find!) so it's necessary to flip the MCB at the consumer unit, taking out all other lights on that circuit as well. I suppose I could intercept the cable to the light, up in the loft as it goes through the gable end, and run a cable to a switch somewhere convenient so just that light can be turned off if it is necessary to restore sanity to the PIR halogen.

If the controller of an LED array puts the lights on permanently, the power wasted is a lot less.

Reply to
NY

Yes, just suitable (R7S?) LED bulbs to fit the housings you have.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

OK if not PIR, halogen ones typically need the amps to work.

Reply to
newshound

I got te impression that these housings didn't have PIR.

Anyway a housing with built in PIR shouldn't have a problem. It's stand alone PIR's series connected with the lamp that might as they may not have access to neutral and rely on the circuit via the bulb for that.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Probably 150W

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Different type of light though, from memory, but it really depends on what you like. I have survived in this world without annoying my neighbours with floodlights up to now, and am unlikely to need them, but people do still seem to be using halogen, since people say its a kind of green tinged hard light, compared to a bit of a blue tinged one for led. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

One clue to suitability, if not specifcally mentioned, is if it's said to be OK with fluorescent lamps/LEDs.

Reply to
PeterC

Our Sainsbury's was flogging off LED R7s for peanuts last week (they were £1 IIRC). Might be worth the OP checking his local store for them.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Ta.

Brain fade yesterday so thanks for doing the sums.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David