LED floodlight question

I want to get a floodlight installed before end of summer, I am not looking for an intense light like the halogen type give off, just a reasonable light to cover an area about 5 x 7 meters. I looked at this on ebay and wonder if it will be sufficient light as I dont yet have any LED lights. Its 10 watt and apparently 100w halogen equivelent, it has 10 LEDs and would be mains wired.

Link:

ss

Yes, if you just need a soft light and to be able to see what's going on. Of course you get bit better coverage, with it mounted a higher.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

Thanks Andy

Reply to
ss

I have a 10watt led over a door, and a 20watt over my patio, and they both work a treat, giving the coverage I want.

I have had them for a while now, and bought them from Amazon, Sirius Lighting.

Reply to
Bob H

Out of interest, is a 10 watt LED truly a 100 watt halogen equivalent?

I have an occasional use 100 watt halogen lighting the back garden and would happily replace it - but do actually need that amount of light.

When most of these things say "100 watt equivalent" I find they are lying. And not by a small margin either.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, put it this way, the said 10watt led light gives us a good enough light to put a key in the door easily. The area that it lights is about 2 square meters, which is plenty good enough for us. It could give us more coverage if I wanted it to but I don't.

It totally depends on your needs which size to get.

Reply to
Bob H

I was hoping for something more scientific than that. Many CFLs are notorious for quoting silly equivalents. Not having much experience of LED, I wondered if they were the same.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Highly unlikely... I've put up a 10 W single chip LED light it's output is around that of a 60 W GLS ina bulkhead fitting. Ample light to move a round safely etc over an area similar size to the OP.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@srv1.howhill.co.uk:

An estate near to me has lights that are probably 500 watts and are all pointing straight ahead. Not sure what they are supposed to be illuminating

- other than the houses on the other side of the road.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

It would 100W equivalent be if they could widen the beam angle.

Reply to
ARW

Thicko installers, installing during the day. Our little 10 W LED thing is almost horizontal to stop the thing shinging down the road and into the eyes of drivers. The cutoff isn't that good though, the light "escaping" is reduced but not to nothing.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@srv1.howhill.co.uk:

I think the design makes it all too easy to point them horizonatally (which means that half the light is illuminating nothing useful as it is going upwards). I also think that if feeds to ego of some people to feel that they can illuminate neibouring properties. (Or perhaps some are just plain old thick)

Reply to
DerbyBorn

And fups up peoples view of the stars. You townies don't know what you are missing and clear night. B-)

Which, if not illegal, is definately frowned upon. Ego is fuelled by having multiple 500 W halogens on all night. Which defeats the purpose as any shadows are so dark you could hide a whole army of tealeaves in them.

That's what I'd go for, not helped by the design of the lamps they ought to have some form of decent cut off around the top 120 to 150 degrees to prevent light escaping upwards. The instructions also ought to show the cut off only reaching the property boundary instead of the lamp being aimed directly at "target" many feet away.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@srv1.howhill.co.uk:

Absolutely agree. Many owners are thinking they can illuminate the air!

Reply to
DerbyBorn