eBay feedback, Neg or Neutral

In DIY as I DIYed the fitting. :-)
Bought an LED flood lamp with PIR sensor off ebay, cheap so probably from China. First thing I did was check the earth, earth wire to metal case using continuity (hope thats how its done) ..dead so opened up the case and earth not connected to casing. Contacted the seller to highlight this and no response. Not looking for compensation as I sorted it myself but wanted to highlight the dangers.
So what to do re feedback, I have sat on this for a few days as I cant decide if I should neg him or a neutral based on no response and dangerous item.
Thoughts anyone.
On 17/08/2017 08:22, ss wrote:

Neg, I'd have thought. - no response to message - selling a potentially unsafe item - need to warn other purchasers - if the listing quoted safety 'Approvals' then the item's 'Significantly not as described' in ebay-speak
Might sound harsh - but a.n.other purchaser might not be as clued-up as you and could get an electric shock from the floodlight. Adrian
On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 08:35:05 +0100, Adrian Brentnall

Agreed.

What's their feedback like ? By clicking on their neg total 3 mths 6mths etc you can actually
a) If the seller hasn't responded at all, and assuming they're still active and selling stuff up until yesterday - they haven't died or fallen sick - a lot of these may be one man businesses, then a lack of response alone, merits a neg.
Although you haven't given any time limits the seller has missed, its assumed these fall outside those specified by eBay.
Again many more seasoned sellers who generate high volumes have a policy of no quibble refunds where they already know there are issues with their items.
Again you happen to know for a fact that these things need to be earthed. Surprisingly perhaps a lot of people don't know this - google "LED floodlamps no earth" or at least its an "issue" with these cheap lamps.
<devils advocate>
Given its a known issue with cheap lamps perhaps you might have checked this out for yourself beforehand and specifically asked the seller if the lamps were earthed. I know damn all about electrics but if it doesn't specifically say in the description that they're suitable for use outdoors where they;ll need to be earthed - then it might be up to the buyer to check that first, Bulshit I know but there you go.
</devils advocate>
Despite the fact they're cheap, a) would swing it for me. What's the rest of their feedback like ? If you go to their feedback profile you can click on the individual totals, their negs for 3 months, 6 months etc and this brings up the comments. If they're getting loads of negs then a) you won't feel so bad about leaving another one, and b) you'll wonder if its worth the effort.
So you're no better off than where you started.
When buying cheap stuff on eBay I personally find it better to just write off the loss rather than agonise for days about leaving feedback. This has only happened twice among hundreds of purchases. Basically the money saved on the bargains, plus the convenience easily cancels out two relatively small losses.
Arguing over matters of principle over relatively trivial sums with complete strangers hundreds of miles away who can suddenly lose the power of English comprehension at the drop of a hat is a compete waste of time IME.
michael adams
On 17/08/2017 09:08, michael adams wrote:

Advert states outdoor use. IP65 rated. CE & RoHS safety certification. His feedback is 97.1. 12 negs last 6 months. No negs on floodlamps.

+1, big time. Yes, I buy cheap crap from China, and invariably, it works. How they can sell at such prices, including postage, and usually get it here within 10 days or so is a mystery, but they do. Recently bought three USB charger plugs, to power USB fairy lights (also from China). They all work, and assuming they keep working for a reasonable period, I will just replace them when they die. I'm certainly not going to bother arguing over a pound or two.
--
Graeme

Graeme wrote:

Bought a USB card reader for 99p including delivery. It works fine.
writes

I bought some very decent heavily chrome plated fingernail clippers for 1c including postage. The first one supplied didn’t have the jaws closing square so were pretty poor and given the price expected the seller to ignore my complaint. But he sent another for no charge and the replacement was fine. I assume he was building feedback cheaply.

Thinking a bit more about this.
These floodlights are presumably intended for sale to people who know what they're doing. People such as yourself who are capable of installing exterior lights and are familiar with all the requirements.
In which case maybe the seller could reasonably expect that anyone he sold these to would be capable of sorting this out for themselves same as you've done.
The real basis of your complaint (had the seller actually responded) seems to be based on the fact that many of the people he's going to sell these to are too stupid to know what they're doing. But then its hardly the seller's fault if his buyers are to tight to employ a competent electrician is it ?
You've got your light(s) for a good price,
They've given you the chance to use your problem solving skills.
michael adams

The products should not have been sold in an unsafe condition.
Some years ago I bought 4 Disco/theatre lanterns from CPC. They arrived with 3 using one type of flex and the fourth another type. Probbaly the outpout of 2 different factories. The odd one out also had no earth connection to the body. I did tell CPC, perhaps they talked to their suppliers, but I subsequently always checked new products for safety.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

On 17/08/2017 09:27, michael adams wrote:

If they were selling a light that had unterminated terminals ready for the installer to wire up, then yes that's a fair assumption.
However if they are selling a complete unit that has a length of flex already fitted, and that is a three core flex, connected to a class 1 fitting (i.e. must be earthed), then its unreasonable to expect the fitter to disassemble the light to fix what is a design or manufacturing fault.

I really depends on the way the light is supplied. Many of these come with a prewired (too short) length of flex already attached. In those cases the seller deserves a neg - especially for not not responding to queries on the issue.
It *might* be more arguable if the product listing contained warming that the prefitted flex is not connected to earth and that you will need to rewire the internals on receipt.
--
Cheers,

John.

If the OP decides to leave any feedback at all then its always open for him to leave the comment
"Warning:this floodlight is supplied with no earth connection"
or similar, without entering into any communication with the seller at all.
Who seems to be selling stuff out of a flat and probably doesn't have a clue about most of it.
michael adams

On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 09:27:42 +0100, "michael adams"

I think you are crediting the seller with too much intelligence.
ss wrote:

"They're all like that Sir"
doubt feedback would make much difference, especially if they're selling them by the container load.
On 17/08/17 09:38, Andy Burns wrote:

Seen that on some of BigClive's reviews.
--
Adrian C

On Thu, 17 Aug 2017 09:38:19 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Most eBay sellers are terrified of negative feedback, because of the way the response system has evolved anything less that five stars all round is damaging to reputations. So individual buyers have power (some say too much).
mechanic wrote:

If the O/P says they were down to 97% feedback, then it sounds about the time they'll ditch that account, and switch to a secondary one anyway.
I'd just say what you think of the device working wise but add the point about people should check for the earth as QA is a bit lax. The seller was probably just a box shifter. Kind of 21st century arfer Daley type. Brian
--
----- -
Brian Gaff wrote:

You'd hope this type of floodlight would be better if bought from B&Q/ScrewFix/CPC etc, but maybe they're the same low quality as the eBay/Banggood/AliExpress ones?

I'd certainly do strong negative feedback myself so that those who arent aware of the problem avoid that seller and/or get what they already have checked, altho few of the later will see it.

I gave up on those, they just make my head hurt.