eBay feedback, Neg or Neutral

But why would you bother ?

a short length of cable

Reply to
whisky-dave

FFS. He complained he didn't get a reply from the seller. Opening a dispute is more likely to get one.

Is that really too much for you to understand?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Please don't upset the bar room lawyers here. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OP: The basis of my dispute is that I bought a light from you that wasn't earthed. So I fixed myself.

Seller: Good. So what do you want me to do, give you a gold star or something ?

OP: Hold on I'll have to email a bloke called Dave Plowman, as this was all his idea. Given I've already fixed it I can't really see any point in this myself, but I'll get back to you once he's replied. Maybe in my position he'd have preferred a framed ceertificate that he could hang on his wall, rather than a gold star.

michael adams

michael adams

Reply to
michael adams

I'd suggest you ask him. He complained about not getting a response from the seller. So I'd assume it was important to him.

But don't let that stop you fantasying.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've no need to ask the OP anything. In his original post if you care to read it, (the thread heading might give a bit of a clue) the OP was asking whether the seller' actions merited a Neg or a Neutral.

In my first reply I said that it merited a neg purely on the basis that the seller hadn't replied, within as it turns out, seven days. This is assuming the seller hadn't died or fallen ill in the meantime.

Then in a follow-up post I also suggested that whatever feedback he decided to leave, if any, he included the comment "caution item not earthed" or similar.

What's important here is that your only contribution to this thread has been the suggestion that the OP should open a dispute. Nobody else has suggesteed this, the OP didn't call the thread "Should I open a dispute or not" did he ? As clearly once he'd fixed it himself opening a dispute would be pointless. What would the seller be expected to do in response ? Go around to the OP's house, and get down on his hands and knees and beg forgiveness ? Along with the gold star and the certificate perhaps, which he or she could present personally.

One might be reasonably led to believe, that in first suggesting that the OP should open a dispute, you hadn't actually realised that the OP had already fixed the light.

Had this not been the case, then clearly everything you've said subsequently would make perfect sense.

Otherwise sadly not, I'm afraid.

michael adams

michael adams

Well the product was in breach of regulations.

Not the OP's problem.

The point is that this product was unfit for sale. Just because the OP was capable of fixing it makes no difference.

OTOH many people would not have the skill to fix this.

Reply to
Mark

You know you're right. According to the OP the seller hadn't responded after seven days. This means he could have died or fallen ill, up to six days after getting the OP's email. So he still deserved a Neg.

Good thinking there.

michael adams

michael adams

On what evidence do you base that statement ?

All your posts are saying about you in this thread, is that having first failed to realise that the OP had already fixed the lamp, and thus mistakenly suggested that the OP should open a dispute, you're finding it impossible to admit your mistake.

O.K I'll make it easy for you. The OP opens a dispute, as you suggest on the basis the seller didn't respond within seven days. That was what you said, if you remember.

As a result the seller can do three things. He can

a) claim that he didn't receive the OP's email; or that he replied and the seller can't have received his reply; or he can come out with a sob story of some kind.

b) Admit he can't be arsed answering emails from buyers despite the fact this will possibly get him slung off of eBay.

c) Do nothing and get slung off of eBay.

Most people, aside from you presumably, would guess the seller will choose option a)

Now it might well be that there's an outside possibility that one the options in a) is true. In which case the buyer is in the wrong in having negged him before establishing the facts. However its far more likely IMO that in choosing a) the seller is lying.

So that basically the seller has already taken the piss in not replying. In asking him to explain himself, (by opening a dispute on the matter ) which implies you may actually be stupid enough to believe any lies he's going to tell you, you're simply inviting him to take the piss out of you all over again.

If you really can't see this, then that really is your problem I'm afraid.

michael adams

michael adams

The same evidence as you are going on and on and on about.

It's rather obvious you know nothing about Ebay.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No answer in other words.

To summarise:

In your first answer you suggested that the OP should open a dispute.

It was then pointed out to you that the OP had already repaired the item, so that opening a dispute, the usual purpose of which is to obtain a refund or a replacement from the seller, would be pointless in this instance. However rather than admit your mistake you then suddenly had a flash of inspiration implying that what you had been talking about all along was opening a dispute simply in order to force the seller to respond.

When it was then pointed out to you that the most likely outcome from doing this would be to induce the seller to lie you then revert to the oracular pronouncements, again on the basis of no evidence whatsoever.

Where nobody ever lies, but always gives honest answers. Even when there's little or no possibility of their ever being found out. Three words.

In your dreams.

michael adams

michael adams

Did wonder just how large a hole hole you'd dig for yourself.

Try reading and understanding what I first posted. Not what you think I posted.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

No problem, here it is again

A way to make sure the first thing the seller sees is that they're definitely dealing with a mug.

Someone who simply can't wait to lap up any old load of nonsense they can come up with, by way of explanation. Which won't be too hard.

So that not only have they already pissed all over the buyer by not replying to their email, but they now have the chance to piss all over them again by expecting them to believe some lame excuse or other.

michael adams

michael adams