eBay feedback, Neg or Neutral

I think you are crediting the seller with too much intelligence.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Agreed.

Reply to
Mark

The seller will see it, but ebay's response will be that you should send it back and the seller will refund. Some aggro about return postage may ensue. The seller may well write it off and refund without a return, which will close the case. If the seller asks for it back and you don't send it, ebay will close the case against you.

Too many disputes will be a black mark against the seller and cause their listing priority/fee discounts to go down. But essentially nobody will pay any notice that they're selling a deathtrap, because there isn't a tickybox for that.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Was the earth wire unterminated or was it connected to something other than the casing?

Reply to
Steve

Well the picture states its an ali housing, and that the power source is "corded mains". The pictures shows a rating plate with a earth required logo, a fixed length of flex and no double isolated logo.

Therefore the lamp should be classed as unsuitable in its delivered form.

So my personal take would depend on how you phrased you contact with the seller...

If it was along the lines of "I have this lamp, FYI its not earthed, but I have fixed it and don't want to return it", then I would give neutral feedback with a comment that its not fit for purpose without further work by the buyer.

If your comms with the seller was more like "Are you aware the lamp is dangerous because the earth wire is not connected internally?", at the very least I would expect the offer of a refund. If they did not respond at all to a report like that, then I would neg them explain why.

Reply to
John Rumm

the usual cause is that paint on the case prevents earth continuity.

Reply to
charles

Bought a USB card reader for 99p including delivery. It works fine.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

My comms were it was dangerous as no Earth connection, I did not mention a refund but did comment I had `repaired it` and would welcome his views.

I waited 7 days and had no reply so I did neg him.

Reply to
ss

Unterminated.

Reply to
ss

And you could also, with a clear conscience, make a report to Trading Standards (via the Citizens Advice consumer line - 03454 04 05 06). It's unlikely they'll act on just one report these days but they certainly used to take such failings seriously; and having it on record may help deny the seller the defence of "I never knew..." if some poor sod ends up dead at the bottom of a ladder.

Reply to
Robin

Are these "Light up the House Across the Road" Light fittings? The sort people don't seem to realise should not spill light beyoind their property.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

BigClive has tested loads of these on Youtube and hardly any have the earth wire connected.

Reply to
LSR

The seller usually responds to those.

But don't let that stop you attempting to be smart. You don't often get the opportunity.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The OP opened the light, fixed it himself, and informed the seller of that fact. In other words without being asked to do so, by either the seller or by eBay he's fixed the problem himself.

So what exactly is the basis for his dispute ?

Most people eBay included, will probably turn around and say he surrendered any rights he had in the matter as soon as he decided to repair the item himself. More especially as he hadn't been asked to do so.

michael adams

michael adams

Fairly obvious, I' have thought: the vendor is selling items (or at least one item) which is illegal for sale in the UK.

Reply to
charles

In which case the buyer informs the seller accordingly, and arranges to return the item in accordance with the eBay T&C's.

The fact that buyer instead decided to repair the item himself immediately undermines any basis he might otherwise have under the eBay T&C's, to open a dispute.

This is no different from attempting repairs on any item, when by so doing so it may automatically invalide any guarantees or any other statutory rights the buyer might otherwise enjoy.

michael adams

michael adams

I could look at this in another way ...

The lamp is designed for installation by a competent electrician, who would be by default sure to check earthing anyway, like you :)

Big clue is no attached UK plug, and a small length of cable - it's possible that is not sufficient for the install into fixed electrics, but it's supplied just for testing.

The failing of the eBay supplier, and probably eBay/Amazon themselves, is not advising consumers that some items sold require a solid understanding of electrical safety prior to installation and use.

When ye buy a switch plate or socket from B&Q / Wickes etc.., they normally package a small leaflet mentioning these things.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

If the O/P says they were down to 97% feedback, then it sounds about the time they'll ditch that account, and switch to a secondary one anyway.

Reply to
Andy Burns

And another thought.

If I were in the chinese factory doing high potential insulation testing prior to shipping the units out of the door, a short length of cable with just the L & N leads connected would possibly be the only way of ensuring just the item is tested (not the cable).

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Attempting to repair it can't invalidate his statutory rights as a consumer. A term saying so is invalid. It may, of course, lead to an uphill struggle to prove to a judge his repair was competent and economical, but in the present case that might not be too hard.

Reply to
Roger Hayter